Skip navigation
92,432 Views 8 Replies Last post: Dec 10, 2009 4:29 AM by alherault RSS
alherault Contributor 4 posts since
Mar 26, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 26, 2009 2:29 AM

Reuse and refdes...

When I use the reuse function all my decoupling  with the same value and same net connection are placed anywhere in my reuse block. How can I avoid this? The IC U4 can have C98,C99 on the schematic but C263,C264 on the board... The electical aspect is respected but not the logic. How can I avoid this?

Andrew

terry_lovell Contributor 11 posts since
Aug 11, 2008
Apr 2, 2009 7:28 AM in response to: alherault
Re: Reuse and refdes...

Hi Andrew,

When instantiating the Reuse Blocks (RB) into your schematic are you utilizing any of the the Renumbering options (i.e., Increment By, Renumber From, Add Suffix or Add Prefix) [show below]? If the "Renumber as needed" default option is taken, when Packager is run it will arbitrarily assign ref des to the parts within the RB.

renumber_RB.bmp

Close-up view

renumber_RB1.bmp

terry_lovell Contributor 11 posts since
Aug 11, 2008
Apr 3, 2009 8:26 AM in response to: alherault

Hi Andre',

I assumed you were using the Expedition Enterprise design flow (DxD/Expedition). Unfortunately I am not familiar with the DxD/PADS reuse functionality, hopefully someone with copy&reuse knowledge for PADS will chime in, anyone?

~tl~

mreed Lurker 2 posts since
Apr 19, 2009
Apr 19, 2009 2:18 PM in response to: alherault

Have yet to find a solution for Pads 2007.x and the unusable reuse functionality.  Even with circuits cut and paste that are identical for as many as 6 sheets it will randomly grab components from other sheets.  IT would be nice to see a solution to this problem.

yan_killy Aficionado 174 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
Apr 20, 2009 11:30 AM in response to: mreed

Hello,

Below are steps that will help you:

1. Create a Reuse in PADS Layout and save it to a file
  2. Connect DxDesigner and PADS Layout via DxDesigner Link for cross probing
  3. In Schematic change Filter to ‘Symbol’ only
  4. Window select all components for Reuse 1 in schematic. Make sure the IC and decoupling capacitors that belong together are included. They will be highlighted in PADS Layout
  5. In PADS Layout Design Toolbar select Make Like Reuse icon and point to saved Reuse file from step 1
  6. Repeat steps in 4 and 5 for all alike Reuse blocks in your design

Regards

mreed Lurker 2 posts since
Apr 19, 2009
Apr 20, 2009 11:55 AM in response to: yan_killy

Thanks for the Information will give it a try tonight see how it goes.

copperln Lurker 1 posts since
Dec 9, 2009
Dec 9, 2009 11:27 PM in response to: alherault

I'm having a hard time with this REUSE issue (decoupling capacitors are shuffled around between channels). None of the suggestions I have read so far work with my PADS 2008 version.

I have tried adding attributes that I hoped would keep the channels distinct, but no luck. This is a real disappointment, I have 8 channels all the same. This REUSE eventually steals capacitors from the original reuse and replaces them from the sheet with the digital section. Really wierd and somewhat useless.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)