1 "correct" answer available (5 pts)
49,040 Views 4 Replies Last post: Dec 20, 2011 1:11 AM by jwe RSS
Nightwish Active 89 posts since
Apr 7, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 18, 2011 11:43 PM

Intel LGA Cell

Howdy,

I am creating a cell for Intel chip which is a 1156 pin LGA and the padstack is abnormal shape. Can any one help me to find a best way to create the custom padstack using library manager? The package outline dimension is shown in the picture below:

Package_Drawing_1.JPG

Package_Drawing_2.JPG

Also the attached is the mechnical spec for this LGA device. (The package drawing is on Page96-97)

Thanks,

Nightwish

Attachments:
john_dube Aficionado 263 posts since
Aug 20, 2008
May 19, 2011 9:52 AM in response to: Nightwish
Re: Intel LGA Cell

Hi Nightwish,

Check with your Intel rep to see if they already have the library data for this component in Expedition format.

John

jwe Contributor 11 posts since
Sep 23, 2008
Sep 12, 2011 1:08 AM in response to: Nightwish

Hi,

In fact, this is a abnormal footprint; but also very ambitious.
The data sheet is sub-optimal. To make matters worse, the Figures shows only the bottom view of the processor package. But we need the top view! Well, everything must be mirrored!

Please check this link. [Cell Editor: Place Pins By CSV]   http://communities.mentor.com/mgcx/docs/DOC-2510
With this script by Al Layson it is easily possible to place pins by CSV file into a cell. This script is very helpful!
Note also the comments there! It seems, there are a limitation by use in the number of alphanumeric pin names in the CSV-File!
In the attachment you'll find a Excel macro, which allows you to create the Pin-Matrix of any BGA. I have also generated a Testpadstack (to import into your library!)
Note:
* All comments are in German! -> Please note!
* My macro [PlacePinsByCSV_LGA1156.xls] is originally designed for testing purposes and certainly in need of improvement.
* In the specific Excel Scheet is to see your concretely footprint. Based on this matrix created the macro multiple CSV files.
  These in turn are importing using script [PlacePinsByCSV] in a prepared cell. (Unit: mm / Number of Pins = 1119 / etc)
* After each use of the script is to store the cell!
* The pads are then included in the cell. Now must just be added silkscreen and assembly drawing.
  The cell origin must then be moved to the cell center.

* Possibility of Cell-rotation with the keyin - command rr e.g. {rr 90 *}

Please check all descriptions, dimensions, units, Padstack etc. I assume no warranty for correctness!

Nightwish schrieb:

Also the attached is the mechnical spec for this LGA device. (The package drawing is on Page96-97)

--->  see also Page 15!

ExcelMakro_Test_LGA1156.jpg       CellEditor_Test_LGA1156.jpg

Greetings

Johannes

Attachments:
jwe Contributor 11 posts since
Sep 23, 2008
Dec 20, 2011 1:11 AM in response to: Nightwish

Hi Nightwish,

Well, with the standard tools of Expedition, it is not easy to create such Padstacks. But there are other possibilities!

We can use the DXF-Interface of the Padstack Editor.

On the exist drawing, the pad is significantly shown. Unfortunately, the dimension is rudimentary!

I have the Padstack created as follows:

* at first, I have create a BMP from the detail view.

* Now import this  BMP-file into a properly CAD program.   (Note: The scale of the pad is still undefined!)

(My suggestion: "Solid Edge 2D Drafting"  download : http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_gb/products/velocity/solidedge/free2d/index.shtml )

* Now you can trace the contour within this CAD program. (e.g. FYI  the angle is 30°)

* Calculate the scale based on the existing drawing.

* Export this contour as DXF-File.

* Now you can easy import the scaled DXF-File as custom pad into Padstack Editor.

Greetings

Johannes

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)