This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (5 pts)
3,997 Views 6 Replies Last post: Mar 25, 2012 9:05 PM by mlehrkind RSS
mlehrkind Contributor 4 posts since
Mar 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 21, 2012 10:14 AM

Student edition

I know the student editions are supposed to be pretty selfsupporting but a basic outline of the process would sure help.

I have downloaded the software, then there was a form that seemed to be the licensing bit...it downloaded a file called modelsim-pe_student_edition.exe

that created an executable install.exe which can verify the installation.  That seems to checkout. But no licensing.

I have also directly run the executable as it finished downloading as per these instructions:

Step 1 - Download the Latest Software
- You must be logged in as the administrator on the computer you are installing ModelSim PE Student Edition.
- To begin the process, download the software from the FTP server by completing the ModelSim PE Student Edition license
  agreement form from the downloads tab.
- Select the FTP link provided on the confirmation page and downloaded the .exe file.

Step 2 - Install the Software
- After the file downloads completely, double-click on the exe file to start the installation process.

Step 3 - Complete the License Request Form
- At the end of the installation process, select Finish and a browser window will invoke with the License Request form

But no browser window is invoked - I have turned off my firewall; I have three different browsers to choose from: Chrome, IE, and Safari...but nothing

The original download and install via a file called: modelsim-win32-10.1a-se.exe installs the files that the modelsim-pe_student_edition.exe seems to be checking.  When modelsim-win32-10.1a-se.exe finishes installing - it does launch a licensing wizard but not sure if that is what is needed or not.  The first screen asks if there is a licensing dongle...there isn't.  After "no" it asks for hostname information for a licensing server.  I don't really have one of those either. There is a tool to configure a license server...but that hangs and goes into "not responding". So....what is the correct procedure?

Which files do I need to download?

Which form do I fill out to get a student license?

If that is all fail, what other options are there?

help my assignments are coming due...design a three bit counter - and a 4:1 mux.

thanks mark

ken_foster Mentor Graphics 19 posts since
Jun 6, 2008
Mar 22, 2012 2:46 PM in response to: mlehrkind
Re: Student edition

Hello Mark,

The ModelSim-PE Student Edition is available free of charge, but does not include any Support from Mentor Graphics.

Have you tried the Google Groups? I went there and there were several threads on installation and problems obtaining a license. Most of them had solutions. That is probably your best option.

http://groups.google.com/group/modelsim-pe-student-edition?pli=1

Best regards,

Ken Foster

Mentor Graphics Customer Support

RLS2004 Active 54 posts since
Apr 28, 2009
Mar 23, 2012 12:17 PM in response to: ken_foster

Ken,

Just My Opinion ...BUT... If the software won't install and support says too bad. What kind of opinion does that leave you with regarding the company, it's support and it's software? 5 Star?

I've been on Pads/Mentor maintenance since the mid 1980's. I get good help and support from Mentor ... and  ... IMO ... so should a Student that MAY elect to use Mentor products and be on Mentor maintenace for the next 30 years.

Verify the Student Status (College/TechSchool) and provide at least enough support to install the licensing and get the program up and running. The group forums can handle application related questions. RLS

ben_painter Contributor 3 posts since
May 13, 2009
Mar 23, 2012 2:30 PM in response to: mlehrkind

Hi Mark,

The link to request a license for the Student Edition of Modelsim is here http://portal.model.com/d/license_request.asp

Regards,

Ben

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)