1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 4:01 AM by MikeD

How do you manage your jobs?

lpaul

If I want to make a copy of an existing design, changing the name of the both the PCB object and the design container, Mentor's Job Managment Wizard seems to be a two step process. I need to copy the project to a new name and location. I then need to rename the pcb object in the new container to match the name of the project.

It looks like there's funationality for a project to support multiple designs or multiple pcb objects. How are you leveraging this feature?

We've historically have had a seperate design container for design design revision. I imagine some projects would get overly large if we tried to maintain multiple design revisions in a common project. However, I can also see where it may be nice to track multiple variations of a common design in the same project.

Finally, it would be nice if we could automate the job managment process. Mentor doesn't seem to provide an automation server for this process. Have any of you developed your own solution? What are some of the problems and how do you deal with it?

• 1. Re: How do you manage your jobs?
          MikeD

I too have found that you can have multiple boards within one project  and have had success with it but find that the size and controlling  access by multiple users the be the biggest hurdle (let alone automating the partslist process).   I've abandoned this approach because copying schematic data from  project to project (circuits, sheets, blocks, etc) is easy enough  already.

We use a Project Template for new designs, not to be confused with the separated ones Mentor provides (new schematic project and PCB layout template).  Creating a new schematic project in Dx does not provide a CES database, a CDB nor a PCB. The same, as you know, is true for creating a new PCB; there must be an existing project.  The Project Template that we use is really a very small (complete) design. It has one discrete component, two nets, a CES database with a few Net Classes and a synchronized PCB database. Users click "New Project" from Dashboard and the project template is placed in their account. They then rename it something sensible and they're off.

I have had to write code that will rename the project file, the pcb file, the directory where they live and update all the references so that the user gets no error messages when opening the newly renamed project.  This was done for the Unix environment users and is relatively simple using perl or bash.