1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 15, 2012 10:04 AM by AndyWilcock

How does recovery information work?

brian.schubert

Occasionally after VeSys has crashed I see a tab show up stating that information has been recovered.

I want to try to recreate a crash but it seems like the recovery does not occur if the design is locked.

So here are the steps I took.

1. Open up a design.

2. Make changes to design.

3. Wait the amount of time specified in Help > About > Error Reporting Preferences

4. Terminate VeSys.exe process in the Task Manger

5. Open up the design.

When I do this the recovery information is not loaded. In fact the folder in the temp directory seems to not get loaded. 

Is this because the design is locked?  Or am I doing something wrong.

I'd like to know how the recovery works so that I know how to use it properly.

• 1. Re: How does recovery information work?
          AndyWilcock

Brian,

The auto recovery mechanism has a few rules that dictate when it will be picked up. Normally this will be though a call home, and these steps will not be needed when a call home occurs.

When the application is killed directly from TaskMgr there are a few tweaks needed:

1. The recovery data will only be used on startup if the application detects a call home

- it is possible to force this by editing the $CHS_TEMP/recovery/{UID...}/recovery.xml file and setting the 'callhome' attribute to 'true'.

2. CMgr will not be notified of the application termination and will still be holding onto its side of the connection, and so the data will be still noted as 'in use'

. This connection will time out after a period of time, so you could wait - this will be around 10 minutes.

- The alternative (simplest) way to do this is to restart CMgr and remove the locks.

If you follow the steps, and restart VeSys, the recovery data should be picked up.