4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2012 9:09 AM by Joel_Pointon

Newbie questions

o.doering

Hi,

I've been working with an evaluation copy of VeSys for a week, and right now I'm stating to do real work with the licensed version. I've done the test drives and read through the documentation, but have not (yet) received training. The software is more or less self-explanatory, however some questions have remained open. I hope it is ok to bring them up here before my official training course...

1. We are doing aircraft harnesses and are dealing with lots of variants and optional equipment. For a example, a customer might select from a variety of navigation equipment and instruments according to national requirements. Of course, we only want the required wiring in the aircraft and produce accurate documentation for each variant. We want to move optional equipment and associated wiring into separate schematic pages and depict the interface to the aircraft as off-page references. Is this the right approach? Will VeSys handle

2. How can we add an overbraid to a completed wiring bundle (and splices and shield termination) without the tedious process of defining a dedicated multicore in the library each time? We need a clean separation between electrical design and manufacturing (VeSyS Design and Harness), so adding the overbraid in VeSys Harness is no option.

3. Some devices come with a short length of wiring and a connector already installed to the end of it. We could of course treat this as a "black box" and just draw the mating connector in the harness. While not absolutely necessary, it would be more accurate to define a device with the wiring, the colour codes of the wiring and the connector so the physical setup shows up in the documentation. Is this possible in VeSys?

4. While defining drawing borders, I had lots of trouble with the automatic zone areas. Everytime I define columns and rows, the paper format is changed to a very large size. Is this a bug?

5. We often have to attach multiple ring terminals to one stud. Also, sometimes multiple wires will have to be crimped into one ring terminal. How does VeSys handle both cases?

6. It is common practice here to allocate a wire number to a multicore as a whole, not to individual wires of a multicore. This prevents manufacturing from exposing the inner conductors of shielded wires just to attach a label.  Discrimination of inner conductors is done by colour code, only. Can VeSys be configured to automatically handle this?

Best regards,
      Oliver

• 1. Re: Newbie questions
          Nuri

Hi Oliver,

Good to hear you are getting on with the software, I will try to answer your questions inline.

1. We are doing aircraft harnesses and are dealing with lots of variants and optional equipment. For a example, a customer might select from a variety of navigation equipment and instruments according to national requirements. Of course, we only want the required wiring in the aircraft and produce accurate documentation for each variant. We want to move optional equipment and associated wiring into separate schematic pages and depict the interface to the aircraft as off-page references. Is this the right approach? Will VeSys handle

Yes, this approach will work to get your schematic diagrams looking OK.  However, when you come to create the harness diagrams there is no filter to remove the optional content so you will need to use a different harness attribute for that additional connectivity.   I should also ask the question if you have looked at Capital, whilst VeSys 2.0 is great for capturing schematic designs and creating harnesses from them - it does not handle options and variants, nor is it able to create derivative harnesses based on optional content. If you spend a lot of your time doing that then Capital has automation capabilities that would help.

2. How can we add an overbraid to a completed wiring bundle (and splices and shield termination) without the tedious process of defining a dedicated multicore in the library each time? We need a clean separation between electrical design and manufacturing (VeSyS Design and Harness), so adding the overbraid in VeSys Harness is no option.

Have you tried adding the overbraid as an insulation run in VeSys 2.0 Harness?  Also, I am not sure if I understand your requirement for a clean separation between electrical deisgn and manufacturing.  Do you need to represent the overbraid in the schematic and harness?

3. Some devices come with a short length of wiring and a connector already installed to the end of it. We could of course treat this as a "black box" and just draw the mating connector in the harness. While not absolutely necessary, it would be more accurate to define a device with the wiring, the colour codes of the wiring and the connector so the physical setup shows up in the documentation. Is this possible in VeSys?

Your idea to represent these devices (with wiring) as black boxes is correct, you can of course create a symbol representation using VeSys 2.0 Symbol - which identifies the fixed color codes of the internal wiring so that this correctly appears in your documentation.

4. While defining drawing borders, I had lots of trouble with the automatic zone areas. Everytime I define columns and rows, the paper format is changed to a very large size. Is this a bug?

I've not had this problem before, can you tell me what version (including service pack) of VeSys 2.0 you are using.  The latest is VeSys 2.0 v2011.1.SP1210.  If you continue to have problems them I would recommend raising a service request.

5. We often have to attach multiple ring terminals to one stud. Also, sometimes multiple wires will have to be crimped into one ring terminal. How does VeSys handle both cases?

Currently it is only possible to connect one ring terminal to one ground stud at a time, therefore I would recommend having multiple ground studs or create a dummy device having multiple pins for each ring terminal to mate with.  As for multiple wires connected to a single ring terminal, that isn't a problem just draw each wire and terminate it on the ring terminal (if you have Auto-route enabled each wire will appear as a multi-term).

6. It is common practice here to allocate a wire number to a multicore as a whole, not to individual wires of a multicore. This prevents manufacturing from exposing the inner conductors of shielded wires just to attach a label.  Discrimination of inner conductors is done by colour code, only. Can VeSys be configured to automatically handle this?

Can you provide an example of what you want to appear on the diagram?  Of course VeSys 2.0 Design can style a decoration on each wire to print the multicore name, and you can style each conductor to print the wire color, but there is no automated way to supress the individual conductor name if that conductor belongs to a multicore (you would need to multi-select those conductors and hide the visibility of the conductor names).

I hope that I've been some help,

Kind Regards,

Nuri

• 2. Re: Newbie questions
            o.doering

Hi Nuri,

thank you very much for your help. I will try your suggestions.

How is Capital priced compared to VeSys ( ~ factor)?

> Do you need to represent the overbraid in the schematic and harness?

Yes, the overbraid is part of the electrical design, which will be certified. We need this to appear in both our schematics and harness drawings.

> can you tell me what version (including service pack) of VeSys 2.0 you are using

The info dialog brings up "Release Number 2011.1.114"

> Can you provide an example of what you want to appear on the diagram?

I want a common name to appear next to the multicore, and two-letter colour codes adjacent to each wire. I do not want individual wire names to appear on the schematic or harness drawing.

Best regards,

Oliver

• 3. Re: Newbie questions
              o.doering

Just one more question...

I'm in the process of drawing footprints for the connectors we commonly use in VeSys symbol. Some manufacturers supply DXF drawings of their connectors. In both cases, I want to label cavities to provide better drawings to manufacturing. Is there a way to place text exactly in the "middle" of an object, for example a rectangle or a circle? Right now I'm just drawing the bounding box for the text on top of the associated object, but this is only approximately in the middle and doesn't look very "even" when there are lots of cavities.

Best regards,

Oliver

• 4. Re: Newbie questions
                Joel_Pointon

If you have a 2D CAD tool available you can edit the dxf directly, they generally have very good text handling functions where you can position text in the center of an object and then define the text as "Middle Centered".