3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2009 1:33 AM by Joel_Pointon

How can I use Excel to predefine wire info from a circuit id

Nuri

How can I use Excel to predefine wire info from a circuit id

• 1. Re: How can I use Excel to predefine wire info from a circuit id
          Joel_Pointon

This is quite a difficult one but there are two methods to resolve your issue, none of which are easy tasks:

1. I would write a macro in excel to read in the wire data from a dsi file, I would then get the macro to change the wire properties required (such as color/size) to suit the company standard.  Finally I would have the macro write the DSI out so that it could be imported back into the schematic in VeSys Design.

2. If an scm file is used this can store the data that will enable the wire color/function to be derived from the Wire ID or Circuit number.  Unfortunately I don't have a spec or this file format sorry!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I use Excel to predefine wire info from a circuit id
            kwirk

I am currently working on a similar problem, trying to write a VBA-Script for exporting information into a DSI-file. I could figure out lots of information about the file format by "reverse engineering" from a sample harness I exported. Anyways it would be much better if I had a specification for the file format.

Do you have any specification on DSI format, or know where to find more information?

Also, how do I handle position information (x/y-coordinates on the drawing)? Is it possible for VeSys to automatically place nodes according only to logical information given e.g. in an Excel file?

Thanks a lot for any help!

• 3. Re: How can I use Excel to predefine wire info from a circuit id
              Joel_Pointon

I've already written an Excel Reader/Writer for a DSI file and from experience it should be possible to work out this information without a specification, if you create a harness with a wire that has properties that described the property it should be pretty self explanatory i.e. For the Wire Color call it Color, Wire Size/Gauge call it Size and then search the DSI for these names.  There is a DSI specification but you will need to request this from Mentor Graphics as it is their proprietary information.

To answer your 2nd question it would be possible to get VeSys Harness to draw a harness but you need to export the information from Excel in DSI format and although this would be possible I imagine it would be quite difficult to do (especially without the DSI specification).  VeSys Harness is very quick to draw a harness and so we've never even looked at it, we have considering writing something that would drop in the connectors from a list i.e. C1, C2 and C3 with part numbers and position them at x0 y100, x100y100, x200y100 just so users don't have to place the connectors into the drawing but again it's quite a bit of work for minimal benefits.