1 2 First Previous 19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2013 2:37 PM by michael.weinberg

Very large PDF file from DxD schematic

alex2

Hello,

We have a 123 sheet schematic and export a PDF so that it can be viewed by those without acess to DxD.

The file generated is very large at ~40MB and as a result loading, viewing and  searching this document is very slow.

The file seems unreasonably large, even for a big schematic, and we have older designs of a similar size that produce much smaller PDFs, in the order of 5MB.

There are two features that are different in this design compared to the previous designs:

• This design is hierarchical
      • There is a company logo image of about 40kB

Does anybody know if either of these can explain the inconveniently large PDF size?

Thanks,

Alex.

• 1. Re: Very large PDF file from DxD schematic
          robert_davies

When you export the PDF do you Export for Project or Block? Project will export the design (board) and also all of the blocks separately.

• 2. Re: Very large PDF file from DxD schematic
            alex2

We export "Block", so our PDF has 123 sheets, each with one sheet of the schematic.

• 3. Re: Very large PDF file from DxD schematic
              clint.cote

Do you have any OLE objects embedded?  I have seen very large PDF files when we embed a table from Excel.

• 4. Re: Very large PDF file from DxD schematic
                alex.ballantyne

Hi Clint,

Interesting. No OLE objects in this case, just the company logo .bmp file. The rest is symbols, nets and text drawn in DxD.

Thanks,

Alex.

• 5. Re: Very large PDF file from DxD schematic
                  robert_davies

Does removing the logo have any effect?

• 6. Re: Very large PDF file from DxD schematic
                    alex.ballantyne

I haven't had a chance to try that yet, various netlist-related issues have pushed that down the list.

Hope to get to it early next week though.

I hope to re-draw the logo as a series of graphic lines in DxD and replace the bit map with that.

I'll let you know how it goes....

Thanks,

Alex.

• 7. Re: Very large PDF file from DxD schematic
                      alex.ballantyne

OK, I've removed the logo from the schematic sheet borders.

The result is pretty conclusive:

Schematic PDF with Logo

39MB

Schematic PDF without Logo

38MB

So the large file size does not seem to be associated with the logo on the sheet borders.

• 8. Re: Very large PDF file from DxD schematic
                        MENTOR_Shannonk

Give the project copy a try mg520130; and then try the PDF generation on the copy.  This method of copy regenerates the database and works wonders for several issues we encounter in Customer Support.

• 9. Re: Very large PDF file from DxD schematic
                          alex.ballantyne

Ok, that was interesting.

I followed the steps described in MG520130 to copy the design, which worked as described.

Then I exported a PDF and the file size was much smaller (9.7MB compared to 38MB).

However, the copy design lacks cross references and reference designators. Puting them back with Cross Reference and PCB Interface then exporting a PDF produced a file size of 38MB once more.

So, I conclude that generating either cross-references or reference designators quadruples the PDF file size.

My money is on Scout/Cross Reference so I'm going to try just re-generating the cross references and report back.

• 10. Re: Very large PDF file from DxD schematic
                            alex.ballantyne

So, this is not so simple as I thought.

If I extract a PDF from the intial design copy it's size is 9.8MB.

If  I use our configuration files including dxpdf.ini file (attached) the  PDF size jumps up to 37MB even before running Cross-Reference and PCB  Interface!

It seems copying the .ini and .cfg files change things significantly for PDF exports.

BTW, if I only copy in our dxpdf.ini, the file size is 27MB so there is clearly some effect from the other files too.

• 11. Re: Very large PDF file from DxD schematic
                              dirk.eyfrig

Alex, why are you using stroke fonts?

Stoke fonts means that each and every character within the design is graphically drawn with lines. That consumes a lot of memory for sure.

Awkward, I just discovered that the default DxDesigner font mapping is to stroke fonts in EE 7.9.4.

(See Setup/Settings/Display/Font Style).

Can anybody from Mentor explain why?

• 12. Re: Very large PDF file from DxD schematic
                                alex.ballantyne

Hi Dirk,

I think stroke fonts must have been the default in earlier versions too because I inherited the dxpdf.ini file from an older design.

I'm not sure whether there are other issues that arise from using TrueType fonts but I'm sure I have read elsewhere that text location is a bit unpredictable...

Thanks,

Alex.

• 13. Re: Very large PDF file from DxD schematic
                                  dirk.eyfrig

Hi Alex,

if I remember well, Mentor claims to have those text location issues fixed in EE 7.9.4.

We use native PDF Fonts for a while, we had some text location issues in the past,
                                  but they can be solved by setting the text origin to the correct position and choosing
                                  the text alignment correspondingly. A bit weird for rotated symbols, but it works...

Dirk

• 14. Re: Very large PDF file from DxD schematic
                                    robert_davies

There are significant improvements to font mapping in EE7.9.4 and PADS/IND 9.5 releases with greater control over mapping to native PDF fonts. The reasons for defaulting to stroke fonts in the latest releases were due to the changes made to the dialogs where fonts are described as 'styles'. To ensure user's weren't too confused by the changes we mapped the built-in stroke fonts as they have always been installed. But if you'd already mapped a stroke font to a system font in your previous releases this mapping should carry over. With the enhancements you may now choose to map a stroke font to a system font (those installed on your computer) or directly apply a system font to text and properties. Not all system fonts however are available natively in PDF, Arial for example isn't a PDF font whereas Helvetica is (these two are very close to each other and have a long history which I won't go into here, just Google it). If you use Arial in DxDesigner, then map it to Helvetica in PDF (in the PDF export dialog).

It is true that text origin makes a difference to the exported PDF, when rotating symbols it is best to adjust the origin as appropriate, changing alignment of text (left aligning a selction of properties for example) now adjusts the alignment accordingly. Future enhancements will alow control over text positioning and origin for the rotated symbol views built in to the symbol definition, but this is some way out in the current release schedule.

On other thing to take into consideration is that the 'Fixed' font is designed on quite a wide character spacing and so has more issues than most when it comes to exporting it to PDF.

1 2 First Previous