2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2012 5:40 AM by siejkam

How to modify an IBIS file for diff termination

siejkam

I am using HyperLynx 8.1.1 to try to simulate a differential pair from an ADC to an fpga. When I select the model  for the receiver and attempt to simulate, I get an error window stating "Error creating simulation model: failed modeling IBIS differential R_series at pin U103.N2. Check that both pins share the same reference designator and that the pin names match the IBIS file's [Diff Pin] keyword." I have tried to modify the IBIS pin mapping but I am obviousley doing it wrong. I have tried to find a similar example to mine, but have not been able to. I am specifically trying to use a Virtex6 LVDS_25_DT_N signal in the IBIS. Does anyone have any suggestions that may help me.

Thanks

mls

• 1. Re: How to modify an IBIS file for diff termination
          weston_beal

HyperLynx 8.1.1 allows R_series models only when they are between defined differential pins. Therefore, you need to have 4 elements in the model and design:

1. both pins in the [Pin] list

2. the two pins associated together in the [Diff Pin] section

3. the two pins linked in the [Series Pin Mapping] section with the series resistor model

4. the IBIS model assigned at the component level in order to apply the series resistor to both pins

So if you have pins 5 and 6 on the FPGA that are a differential receiver, your IBIS model should have these elements.

[Pin]

5   IN_P   LVDS_25

6   IN_N   LVDS_25

[Diff Pin]    inv_pin   vdiff   tdelay_typ   tdelay_min   tdelay_max

5              6           0.1    0                NA               NA

[Series Pin Mapping]   pin_2   model_name

5                               6          RSERIES_100

Then assign the component model to the FPGA reference designator using the REF file editor under the menu Models > Assign Model/Value by Reference Designator.

Regards,

Weston

• 2. Re: How to modify an IBIS file for diff termination
            siejkam

Thanks Westin,

My syntax is slighlty different , but it worked.

Mark