AnsweredAssumed Answered

NSE GUI does not appear for New Local Symbol

Question asked by vandel on Dec 2, 2012
Latest reply on Dec 13, 2012 by Marty Fouch

In tyring to get past the hurtle of getting a design started in Dx Designer, the first thing I do is chose File->New->Project and assign a name and location accpeting the defaults for the location.

Then I add a File->New->Board.

Based on a repeated reading of the available documentation and tutorials one would think that a next step would be File->New->Local Symbol and that this would allow you to build a symbol for use in a schematic.

At least in the case of my installation which I have done and redone several times (at a significant investment time that might otherwise have been devoted to design) this results in:

Started C:\MentorGraphics\9.5PADS\SDD_HOME\nse\win32\nse.exe -prj "C:\PADS Projects\DxProjects\Design1\Design1.prj" -parent dx -icdb "C:\PADS Projects\DxProjects\Design1\database" -snapshot "DxD" -n "untitled1.1"
Loading gui config from C:\MentorGraphics\9.5PADS\SDD_HOME\nse\win32\resource\nse.xml
Loading profile config from C:\Users\vandel\mgc_nse_2007.ini

and nothing else .... NO GUI appears.  If I attempt to start the File -> New -> Local Symbol again I get the same thing with a dialog box that indicates that untitled1.1 already exists and can not be created.  No Local Symbols show up in DXdatabook.

I have not edited any of the referenced .xml files in the above printout, they are as they were when installed.

When I go to the Windows Task Manager I see one copy of nse.exe running for each time I try to create a symbol.  If I end this process I get:

Finished C:\MentorGraphics\9.5PADS\SDD_HOME\nse\win32\nse.exe

And I can try again without the dialog box about untitled1.1 already existing.  Unfortunately the results are the same.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on an I7 machine with 9G of RAM and About DxDEsigner reports:

GBS Install Id: 27413

Flow Id: PADS 9.5

Full Flow Name: PADS 9.5

Exact Access Date: Jun 1 2012

I've got to say of all the packages I've used in my career, this has been the most frustrating and so far ineffective learning curve I have ever experienced.

Thanks for any insight into this issue.

LVDJ

Outcomes