7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2012 1:43 PM by Marty Fouch

NSE GUI does not appear for New Local Symbol

vandel

In tyring to get past the hurtle of getting a design started in Dx Designer, the first thing I do is chose File->New->Project and assign a name and location accpeting the defaults for the location.

Then I add a File->New->Board.

Based on a repeated reading of the available documentation and tutorials one would think that a next step would be File->New->Local Symbol and that this would allow you to build a symbol for use in a schematic.

At least in the case of my installation which I have done and redone several times (at a significant investment time that might otherwise have been devoted to design) this results in:

Started C:\MentorGraphics\9.5PADS\SDD_HOME\nse\win32\nse.exe -prj "C:\PADS Projects\DxProjects\Design1\Design1.prj" -parent dx -icdb "C:\PADS Projects\DxProjects\Design1\database" -snapshot "DxD" -n "untitled1.1"
      Loading gui config from C:\MentorGraphics\9.5PADS\SDD_HOME\nse\win32\resource\nse.xml
      Loading profile config from C:\Users\vandel\mgc_nse_2007.ini

and nothing else .... NO GUI appears.  If I attempt to start the File -> New -> Local Symbol again I get the same thing with a dialog box that indicates that untitled1.1 already exists and can not be created.  No Local Symbols show up in DXdatabook.

I have not edited any of the referenced .xml files in the above printout, they are as they were when installed.

When I go to the Windows Task Manager I see one copy of nse.exe running for each time I try to create a symbol.  If I end this process I get:

Finished C:\MentorGraphics\9.5PADS\SDD_HOME\nse\win32\nse.exe

And I can try again without the dialog box about untitled1.1 already existing.  Unfortunately the results are the same.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on an I7 machine with 9G of RAM and About DxDEsigner reports:

GBS Install Id: 27413

Flow Id: PADS 9.5

Full Flow Name: PADS 9.5

Exact Access Date: Jun 1 2012

I've got to say of all the packages I've used in my career, this has been the most frustrating and so far ineffective learning curve I have ever experienced.

Thanks for any insight into this issue.

LVDJ

• 1. Re: NSE GUI does not appear for New Local Symbol
          vandel

If anyone who has insight into the details of the operation of NSE.exe is reading this, attached is a copy of a Process Monitor capture detailing the events that have the result "NAME NOT FOUND".

It appears that many of these are attempts to look in various possible places for the same information, but some of them seem never to result in "SUCCESS" when searching for the files or keys.

I have a complete list of events not filtered by "NAME NOT FOUND" but it is significantly larger.

Least anyone think that the GUI happens to be open outside of the area display on the screens, please note that there is no indication of an open window for this in either the taskbar or the Application tab of the Windows Task Manager.

Hope this helps.

LVDJ

• 2. Re: NSE GUI does not appear for New Local Symbol
            robert_davies

I have tested this in the same version and have no issues. Does the same happen if you try running NSE standalone from SDD_HOME\nse\win32\nse.exe? Or the batch file under the common folder? It might be a permissions issue with location of the configuration files. I would suggest you contact Customer Support if you cannot resolve this.

• 3. Re: NSE GUI does not appear for New Local Symbol
              vandel

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate the response.  I am thinking that you work for Mentor and one thing I respectfully ask you to consider is the fact that you are likely running a fully loaded fully featured version of the product and not everyone in the world can afford that luxury and that perhaps this issue is a result of licensing practices that are not thought out completely and that you would not detect these on your system.

I have already had to upgrade my licenses at what to me is considerable expense when I mistakenly thought based on the demos and documentation that I would have a feature that in in fact I did not have in my license.  I don't suspect this to be the case in this instance, but in fact I have unfortunately wondered during this process if perhaps "local symbols" is something not included in the license, absurd I know, but I this has been the response form Mentor folks on other issues ... at times it was an accurate response ... at times it was an inaccurate response.

Enough editorial ...

When running NSE under File->New->Library Symbol the following is generated.

Started C:\MentorGraphics\9.5PADS\SDD_HOME\nse\win32\nse.exe -prj "C:\Users\vandel\Desktop\KII Design\Design Documents\Atlas\Atlas\Atlas.prj" -file "C:\Users\vandel\Desktop\KII Design\Design Documents\Atlas\Atlas/sym/test.1"
              Loading gui config from C:\MentorGraphics\9.5PADS\SDD_HOME\nse\win32\resource\nse.xml

Which is what comes up when you create a library symbol and this does bring up the GUI and appears to function.

It does exhibit the same problem as detail in the May 6, 2011 posting entitled "Making new component in DXDesigner without DXDataBook" this being that when you assign a Pad_Decal to pkg_type using the Pads Decal Browser it does not update the part in the Symbol editor properties window and you need to manually cut and paste the name of the decal to get the part to work ... another issue that I wasted hours in troubleshooting ....  the end result of that post was user Vern_Wnek stating " ... I have seen the issue before.  I will work with the Pads team to see if this is a Defect that needs to be looked into.".  Also User Gary_Lameris generated a post that spoke about file pads93.cfg and that fact that "At least one version had some lines that should be commented out" ....

As far as permissions are concerned I much earlier set access to everything in the C:/Mentor Graphics and C:/PADS Projects to full access for myself as a User and I am an Administrator of the machine.

As you requested I have checked to see if the command detailed in the original post works when executed from the Windows Command line processor CMD.exe and in fact it does.  The problem with the PADs decal browser not updating the property in the symbol does not go away, but it is possible to create a local symbol this way.

By the way, given that the system has 9 GB of RAM I assume that it goes without saying that it is running in 64 bit mode.

I will open a ticket with support on this and post back here if they are able to resolve it satisfactorially.

Thanks again for your response on this and sorry for the editorial ... I look forward to one day having a fully functional DXDesigner implementation with the support of folks like yourself.

LVDJ

• 4. Re: NSE GUI does not appear for New Local Symbol
                robert_davies

Just as an FYI - local symbols are stored in the database (icdb.dat) along with the other graphics elements, they are not written to external files as is the case with library symbols. From further tests it seems the problem is that your path to the project contains spaces in the name and it appears that this is preventing the UI of NSE opening, This is odd considering the same path works for 'library' symbols. Please log this with your Customer Support representative.

On the question of assigning the package from the Decal Preview, this has been logged and is in our backlog to be addressed as and when we have resources to do so.

Rob

• 5. Re: NSE GUI does not appear for New Local Symbol
                  vandel

Thanks for taking another shot but as someone who has been working with various systems since DOS, I sadly also considered this a source of Mentors programming problems and previously tried this:

Started C:\MentorGraphics\9.5PADS\SDD_HOME\nse\win32\nse.exe -prj "C:\Users\vandel\Desktop\Atlas\Design\Design1\Design1.prj" -parent dx -icdb "C:\Users\vandel\Desktop\Atlas\Design\Design1\database" -snapshot "DxD" -n "untitled1.1"

The results are no different and there are no spaces. 

Also to be noted is that when I attempted to open a service request with the dump file of the internal messages generate by NSE in attempting to run the "Submit" button remained greyed out after the file (10 MB) was list as completely uploaded and it only became active again when I removed the file.  This attempt to "Submit" appeared to hang and after roughly 2 minutes I abandoned it.

On retry, I was able to open a ticket without the file .....

Thanks again for your response ... I will post again if I get any positive results form the support ticket.

LVDJ

• 6. Re: NSE GUI does not appear for New Local Symbol
                    vandel

For anyone else dealing with this I got this response from the service ticket and it has resolved the problem.

Try this, Locate the mgc_nse_2007.ini file

This should be in your USER area example C:/USERS/JIM

Rename or delete it and see if works

If this does work then the issue is defect and it occurs when the window is resized

Also since this is pad flow issue as indicated in your activity if what I suggest does not work then I will transfer the SR to the Pads team

Good luck

I am happy to report that the response came within minutes of entering the Service Request. 

Thanks for the help with this.

LVDJ

• 7. Re: NSE GUI does not appear for New Local Symbol
                      Marty Fouch

The solution for this issue has been written up as a TechNote and is also linked to the defect report. You can view the TechNote on SupportNet at  http://supportnet.mentor.com/reference/technotes/public/technote.cfm?id=MG580755