8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 9:34 PM by simon_favre

Introduce yourself to the Electrifing DFM Discussion group

smitha_teegala

Hi All,

Please introduce yourself to the DFM group with your current design focus and your interest areas.

My name is Smitha Teegala.I am a Corporate Marketing Engineer at Mentor Graphics and have joined mentor two half and years back.My background is in Electrical Engineer with main focus being DSP and VLSI design.

Initially,I started my work in digital design space but currenlty my main concentration is on Physical verification (Calibre).

My hobbies include cooking,watching sports and shopping (yeah..I know most gals wud luv to do this)

I would want you all to be actively involved in the DFM discussions and help new threads roll in.Don't you think  this  is an excellent way of sharing our knowledge  ?

• 1. Re: Introduce yourself to the Electrifing DFM Discussion group
          karen_chow

Hi all. I'm Karen Chow, and I work as a Technical Marketing Engineer for Calibre xRC. My interest in DFM is in improving parametric yield, in modeling CMP effects, and the effects of fill on extracted results.

Karen.

• 2. Re: Introduce yourself to the Electrifing DFM Discussion group
            karen_chow

Hi. Are there any other new DFM users out there? If there are, welcome to the group!

Karen

• 3. Re: Introduce yourself to the Electrifing DFM Discussion group
              David_Abercrombie

Hi Everyone! My name is David Abercrombie and I am a Program Manager here are Mentor Graphics working on DFM and Advanced Physical Verification Methodology. I spent about 14 years working in semiconductor manufacturing facilities working on yield problems and managing yield enhancement groups. I moved into EDA about 4 years ago to try and help move yield enhancement into the design world. I would love to hear your opinions on DFM.

• 4. Re: Introduce yourself to the Electrifing DFM Discussion group
                Kenneth_Wood

Hello all...

My name is Kenneth Wood and I run Saturn PCB Design, Inc. I am always using DFM / DFT to better the yeilds and lower production cost for my

higher volume customers. DFM saves a bunch of $$$ in the long run.

Ken

Kenneth J. Wood

President

Saturn PCB Design, Inc. sales@saturnpcb.com

2737 Bishop Lane Phone: (407) 340-2668

Deltona, Fl 32725 Fax: (386) 789-2765

http://www.saturnpcb.com/

• 5. Re: Introduce yourself to the Electrifing DFM Discussion group
                  David_Abercrombie

Hi Kenneth,

Great to meet you! I am excited to hear that you are finding value in your dfm efforts. Can I ask you what DFM analysis/enhancement/methods you are using and how you have quantified the ROI of these efforts?

• 6. Re: Introduce yourself to the Electrifing DFM Discussion group
                    Kenneth_Wood

David,

I should clear up a thing or two before I say that all DFM has a positive ROI in all cases. Some in manufacturing may disagree but in my experience you have to balance the level of DFM with

volume of your product. I once worked for a company that produced 500 units per year of a certain product. We performed minimal DFM like Valor and no ICT. The PCB's were simple and we had good successes with them. We were then bought out by a very large company that insisted we run all PCBs through Valor, create ICT test fixtures, have multiple meetings on test procedures with the overseas bare board and assembly companies...etc. ( I could go on all day ) This one unit we produced had about 15 different PCB's in it, many very low tech. By the time I left the company, we were 2 million dollars over budget and 15 people were laid off the following week. Granted this wasn't all due to DFM costs but the number we spend on ICT fixtures alone for boards was staggering.

So the moral of my story is...DFM works, I fully support it, it has saved me money in the past but...You have to look at your budget and make your decision based on that.

To answer your question on what I use:

Valor Software to verify placement issues via the ODB++ interface

ICT Test fixtures to look for shorts and opens ( at a minimum )

JTAG to exercise ports through the ICT

Generally I have the high volume bare board company assist with panel design (this alone can save big $$$ in high volumes)

Finally the assembler writes a DFM report for me to review and modify my design.

Hope this helps

Ken

Kenneth J. Wood

President

Saturn PCB Design, Inc. sales@saturnpcb.com

2737 Bishop Lane Phone: (407) 340-2668

Deltona, Fl 32725 Fax: (386) 789-2765

http://www.saturnpcb.com/

• 7. Re: Introduce yourself to the Electrifing DFM Discussion group
                      tinkubharti007

Hi!

This is Brijendra Bharti I am working as a Analysis and verification Engineer in MANDO. I m using Pollex DFM and for thermal Hyperlynx thermal.

Tinku

• 8. Re: Introduce yourself to the Electrifing DFM Discussion group
                        simon_favre

Hi,

I'm the TME for Calibre YieldAnalyzer, also known as YA or CAA. I joined Mentor in May, '08 as part of the Ponte acquisition.

My areas of technical expertise include, but are not limited to DFM, CAA, Tcl, Perl, Library, Full Custom, ASIC and Mixed Signal design flows. I have been in EDA for 10 years, and worked for various semiconductor companies before that. I was a Mentor customer at LSI Logic for many years, supporting mutual customers on Design Architect and Quicksim.

My main hobby is vintage auto racing.

SIMON