3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2012 8:52 AM by russell_forsyth

Mass editing of Component information

htran1

Hello, maybe I am not looking in the right place.

I need to do bulk changes to the internal part numbers in components.  With Excel, I can sort and automate my changes.

Using Vesys 2.0 Component, I was able to export the complete library in CSV and bring it into excel, simple enough.  How do I import the changes as there is no import options for CSV files?

Also, there a key that describe what each columns are in the CSV?

Is there an option to export more information like supplier and customer PN as well?

Lastly, how will Components handle changes in this manner for components already in use?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Mass editing of Component information
          Phil_Davies

Hi,

I think the best advice is to to as much as you can inside VeSys Library.  Have you looked into the copy component details functionallity, this allows you to copy information such as supplier part number on mass to target sets of components.  There is a How To document on the subject http://communities.mentor.com/docs/DOC-1380

Hope this helps

Phil D

• 2. Re: Mass editing of Component information
            htran1

That is good information to copy information to a lot of parts.  Any tricks to updating a lot of parts, each with a unique information in a spreadsheet type environment.

The problem I am faced with is, we are adopting a new internal part numbering scheme and it would be tedious to look up and update each of several thousand parts.  Where as I already have a list of old to new internal PN or supplier to internal PN in a spreadsheet and can make the updates in minutes.  Exporting to CSV gets me the info I need to make the changes, however, how do I get the changes back into Vesys Components?

Thank You.  Any advice would be appreciated.

• 3. Re: Mass editing of Component information
              russell_forsyth

Hi there

It appears you are trying to modify in bulk data and have that imported into the VeSys 2.0 environment. This is a task we have experience in within the Mentor Graphics Consulting group: http://communities.mentor.com/docs/DOC-3346

Automated data manipulation/migration is one key area that we could asist you with - this would be a costed service but would bring high value and mitigate possible introduction of human error.

Feel free to contact me directly if you would like to pursue this further: russell_forsyth@mentor.com

Many thanks

Russ