5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2013 11:12 PM by sabitha.jamal

BASIC vs. STD models

rholt

What is the intended use for BASIC versus STD models? Almost all Actions (like Padstack Analysis) included both a BASIC and STD model. It seems the tool defaults to STD when I pull up a system defined checklist (like VALOR_ASSEMBLY). However, if I load just a single Action (ANALYSIS pulldown menu>ASSEMBLY>PADSTACK ANALYSIS) it loads with the BASIC model by default. You can find differences between the ERF values but what is Valor's intention for having both models?

• 1. Re: BASIC vs. STD models
          max_clark

rholt,

The ERF Models provided during the installation of Valor NPI are simply example ERF Models that can be modified through the use of the ERF Manager.  The differences between the two sample ERF Models are simply based on a reduced set of requirements versus a complete set.  It was never intended for a user to simply use the models as delivered.  ERF models have to be tuned to the type of designs and content you want returned by the analysis.

In general, most customers will have multiple ERF Models using thier own names.  Many will have more than two ERF Models.  ERF Models can now have dependencies based on a parent ERF Models using the design center to maintain the relationship.

In short, the intention of providing our customers with two ERF Models is for example purposes only.  Further implementaton requires users to determine the proper ERF Model names and values to execute analysis with.

Hope this helps,

Max

• 2. Re: BASIC vs. STD models
            rholt

Hi Max,

Thanks for the info. I had a really hard time finding anything that helped me to understand these files and their differences. Our company has ERF models that have been used throughout the years (10+) but I think it’s time to start over. I recently upgraded the ERF’s but apparently they’re corrupt according to Mentor. The ERF values seem to be embedded into the checklist and not the model in some instances.  They just released a tech note on Dec-21 hyperlink: Tech Note <http://supportnet.mentor.com/reference/technotes/public/technote.cfm?id=MG580922> . I’m thinking I would like to start with one of Mentor’s default models to create new ERF’s rather than tweaking old broken files.

Thanks again for the response!

Randy Holt

(925) 249-4112

• 3. Re: BASIC vs. STD models
              sabitha.jamal

Hi Rholt,

The given ERFs from valor is only for reference purpose. We need to customize new models based on the  reference ERFs for our process setup,new machine models and new technologies. But make sure to keep these two models as such as this is very helpful while we are in trouble to get exact issue.  The default  ERF from direct analysis mode is the ascending order of ERF model in ERF manager,But in checklist the default ERF is based on the selected ERF which we added in Checklist during its creation time.

Hope this also helps..

Thanks and Regards

Sabitha

• 4. Re: BASIC vs. STD models
                rholt

Thank you for your response. It sounds like the key difference between BASIC and STD is that one is a complete set and the other a is reduced set - which I interpret as a “common use” set. My goal is to figure out which set to copy as a starting template for creating my new custom ERF sets.

Best Regards,

Randy Holt

• 5. Re: BASIC vs. STD models
                  sabitha.jamal

Hi Rholt,

As per my openion you can consider any of the ERF as a base model because these two are not ready-use model for us,Sometimes it helps from Basic and some times from STD .Also we need to work hard to setup those to get the real issues. But its really interesting to develop those and for generating customized models ,its required dedication to improve ...

All the best

Sabitha