1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 16, 2013 2:21 PM by MENTOR_Shannonk

DxDesigner: symbol with bmp image cannot be modified

rchander

Hi

I have a symbol which I created for the purposes of using it as a Titleblock.  I inserted a BMP image which is our company's logo.  Now, I am unable to change that symbol for any modifications.  I keep getting the following error:

# cannot save symbol 'GI_TitleBlock4_B_size.1', because the bitmap file 'C:\my_doc_bkp\Project Work\GLOBAL_LIBRARY\SYM\ole\GI_TitleBlock4_B_size.1' is locked by another application

nse::savesymbol -savestyles

# cannot save symbol 'GI_TitleBlock4_B_size.1', because the bitmap file 'C:\my_doc_bkp\Project Work\GLOBAL_LIBRARY\SYM\ole\GI_TitleBlock4_B_size.1' is locked by another application

I am not sure what has locked the file GI_TitleBlock4_B_size.1 other than the symbol editor itself.  Also, it calls it a bitmap file for some reason when it is just a symbol file.

Any help would be appreciated to avoid the error.  So far, I can only save it as another name, e.g. GI_TitleBlock5_B_size.1 and then replace the symbol instance in the schematic with this renamed version.  I did it 4 times before, but I think there should be a better way.

Thanks

Rahul

• 1. Re: DxDesigner: symbol with bmp image cannot be modified
          MENTOR_Shannonk

From a TechNote I'm working on:

This is a known defect.

Why it happens:

When adding an OLE image (.jpg, .bmp file) into the border, Symbol Editor creates an OLE folder under the sym folder. In that folder, it creates a file with the same name as the symbol name. It appears that this file (under the ole folder) has some locking mechanism that prevents the Symbol Editor from saving the symbol with the original name if a sheet with that symbol (yep this can happen to symbols other than a sheet border) is open in DxDesigner.

Workarounds:

• The easiest workaround is to make sure all sheets that have this sheet border on them are closed.
          • If you are at a huge site with lots of DxDesigner users, where it would be hard to guarantee that every project is closed a possible workaround is to do a Save as on the symbol. Delete the original symbol file and the same named ole file and then do another Save As... to get back to the original name.

Before you run into trouble keep these in mind:

• Don't add the OLE image until you are completely finished with the symbol
          • Don't add an OLE image, draw the image with the drawing tools in the Symbol Editor - this is what we recommend. OLE images are not as robust, bitmaps and jpg in symbols and on schematics may not appear correctly in a PDF or printed schematic.