6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2013 11:05 AM by rchander

printing from DxDesigner WYSINWYG (What You See is Not What You Get!)

rchander

Hi

I use 11x17 paper B size for schematic drawing and also printing. There are three issues regarding the schematic appearance on screen and on printing/print-preview:

1) In the schematic, on changing the zoom level, the alignment of component property-text keeps getting messed up.  If I use one zoom level to align the properties nicely, in the next zoom level, the properties are misaligned again.  I am not sure which zoom level should be used that would correspond with what gets printed.

2) In the printout, the printout is never identical to the schematic despite having the scale set to 1.0 in the print dialog box.  Also, if I print without previewing, either nothing gets printed and a blank piece of paper comes out or prints are with enormous text/line thicknesses.   Even if I do the print preview, the preview is no longer identical to the schematic with lines and text changing location.

3) Print offset- this one is a minor issue.  The printout seems to be offsetted a little bit to the right on paper as if I had specified custom margins somewhere.

Any ideas why this is happening?  The schematic printout/preview is completely sloppy whereas on screen it looks professional!  I read in the changelog somewhere that issue 1) is supposedly fixed in the release that I am using, but I don't think it's the case.

Flow Id: PADS 9.5

Full Flow Name: PADS 9.5

Exact Access Date: Jun 1 2012

Thanks

Rahul

• 1. Re: printing from DxDesigner WYSINWYG (What You See is Not What You Get!)
          rchander

I should also mention - in my schematics, I have the grid on and snappable.  Not sure if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Rahul

• 2. Re: printing from DxDesigner WYSINWYG (What You See is Not What You Get!)
            Gary_Lameris

Text alignment should be fixed if you used the alignment commands on the toolbar.  In previous releases, the text would visually align to specific zoom level but not change the text origin for the objects.  Then when the font was rendered at a different zoom level, the objects were not aligned.  Specifically text could be left aligned but right justified.

In EE7.9.4/PADS 9.5 the alignment routine was modified to also set the text origin to the specific justification.  If text was left justified the origin should also be on the left.

You can verify this is the properties window.  Select the text you wish to align, specify the same Origin for the text and then use the alignment command.

property window.png

To quickly center align text, I first use left justification, by setting the text objects to a left origin, and then align left.  Then simply changing the text string to a center origin precisely aligns the text strings.

Which fonts are you using?  I typically use an Arial font but I also have used Calibri on Windows 7 machines.

Let us know if this helps!

Gary Lameris

gary_lameris@mentor.com

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: printing from DxDesigner WYSINWYG (What You See is Not What You Get!)
              rchander

Hi Gary

Thanks for your response.

I tried to follow what you had suggested:

1) The alignment icons on the toolbar are greyed out even though I have a property of an object selected.  So I can't use the toolbar.  Any idea why?

2) I verified that the properties of a given component are all aligned the same way...e.g. all are Origin with Lower Left.  In some components, the alignment seems to work, but not in other components.

With regards to Print Preview, I realized that the font grows a little bit between print-preview and the schematic.  I observed this by doing relative comparison of nearby objects.  I am using Sans-Serif (font type?) and Arial (actual font?) for most properties.

Thanks

Rahul

• 4. Re: printing from DxDesigner WYSINWYG (What You See is Not What You Get!)
                Wolfgang_Antrey

This is quite true, but there is a little bug in ee7.9.4.

If you align a net name to an existing net trace eg. pin of a component to an onsheet symbol at one time - this is ok.

But if you move eg. the onsheet symbol lets say 100 grid points to the left or right - the text origin will not stay where it was relativ to the endpoint.

I have a SR/DR number  SR : 2508205647   DR/ER #00914423

In general your advise works ....

Wolfgang

• 5. Re: printing from DxDesigner WYSINWYG (What You See is Not What You Get!)
                  robert_davies

The aligment icons only become active if you have more than one object to align, to change origin of a single object use the properties dialog.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: printing from DxDesigner WYSINWYG (What You See is Not What You Get!)
                    rchander

Hi,  I am posting some screenshots to illustrate the zoom issue.  Note the location of the text "Generic or Vishay TNPW060324R9BEEA" in zoom screen shot 1 and compare it with screen shot 2.  The relative location/size seems to have changed and in some zoom levels, the text starts to expand beyond the column and this is also how it prints.  I need to know how to fix this if I am doing something wrong.  As a workaround, I would like to figure out the zoom-level which matches the printout so I can do all the sizing of fonts and alignment in that zoom level.  Thanks  Rahul