4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2013 1:19 AM by frank.henne

Plane Shape connected or not?

frank.henne

Hello,

what property of what object does contain the information whether a Plane Shape is actually conected and therefore filled or not?

Regards

Frank

• 1. Re: Plane Shape connected or not?
          juergen.dickler

Hello Frank

I'm still a beginner with automation , but maybe this helps you.

When a planeshape has a name and not (Net0) then it is connected to a net ( same as planeshape.net.name )

set pcbdoc = pcbapp.activedocument

set pshape = pcbdoc.planeshapes

You can go through each plane with a for each ..next statement

for each psh in pshape

msgbox psh.name

msgbox psh.obstructtype     'returns the obstruct type of the plane  Where 0 is none.Otherwise you will get the number of the constant  epcbobstructtype

next

• 2. Re: Plane Shape connected or not?
            frank.henne

I've created a mini design for testing and do not see any property that shows my unconnected plane shape.

Even a net deleted in DxD is converted to 'Shield Area' connected to Net0 and not 'Isolated'...

Here is my test script:

Dim i,j

Dim iLayer

Dim oPlaneShapes

Dim oPlaneClass

Dim oNet

For iLayer=1 To pcbDoc.LayerCount

set oPlaneShapes = pcbDoc.PlaneShapes(, iLayer)

If oPlaneShapes Is Nothing Then

Call AppendOutput("Failed to get Planes for Layer " & iLayer)

Else

Call AppendOutput("# of Planes on Layer " & iLayer & " : " & oPlaneShapes.Count)

oPlaneShapes.Sort

For i=1 To oPlaneShapes.count

set oNet = oPlaneShapes.Item(i).Net

set oPlaneClass = oPlaneShapes.Item(i).PlaneClass

Call AppendOutput("___ " & i & " Plane Name = " & oPlaneShapes.Item(i).Name _

& ", Plane Net = " & oNet.Name _

& ", Isolated = " & oPlaneShapes.Item(i).IsolatePlane _

& ", RouteObstructed = " & oPlaneShapes.Item(i).RouteObstructed _

)

Next

End If

Next

From it's does report you cannot see that 3. plane is isolated and not connected:

# of Planes on Layer 1 : 0
            # of Planes on Layer 2 : 1
            ___  1. Plane Name = P3V3, Plane Net = P3V3, Isolated = False, RouteObstructed =  False
            # of Planes on Layer 3 :  4
            ___ 1. Plane Name = (Net0), Plane Net =  (Net0), Isolated = False, RouteObstructed = False
            ___ 2. Plane Name = (Net0), Plane Net = (Net0), Isolated = False,  RouteObstructed = True
            ___ 3. Plane Name =  GND, Plane Net = GND, Isolated = False, RouteObstructed = False
            ___ 4. Plane Name = GND, Plane Net = GND, Isolated = False,  RouteObstructed = False
            # of Planes on  Layer 4 : 0

Any ideas?

• 3. Re: Plane Shape connected or not?
              kendall_hiles

Plane shapes are the complete shape that you drew.  If you have parts with pads and routes it cuts the plane shape into areas.  To check the areas you need to look at the Actual or Generated plane shapes.  I am not sure what you are looking for since the tool shows you graphically what is connected and you can set it on how you want it to fill.  You could have 10,000 little areas that didn't fill becasue they were smaller than the fill area you specified.

• 4. Re: Plane Shape connected or not?
                frank.henne

Of course the scenario you described is very complicated to implement, even to exactly define it is not easy

I'm only looking for a meanse to identify the isolated Plane Shapes that do not have any  connection at all. In my screenshot the selected Plane Shape is such an  isolated example: no pad or via is creating a connection to the required  net.