2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2013 2:11 PM by jsherman

Can you selectively add soldermask to a layout?

jsherman

I am using Expedition Ascent/Pinnacle and I would like to selectively add soldermask to a layout design. I recognize that I can edit the padstack and make this happen for specific pads if I need to. Instead, I would like to see if there is a way to add soldermask and only cover a few pads on the board. I know that I can add a draw_object to selectly open soldermask on a layout design. In this case, I would like to do the opposite.

Regards,

John

• 1. Re: Can you selectively add soldermask to a layout?
          Jackie_D

Hi John,

Are you looking to remove the soldermask openings for some pads? If so, you can do this using padstack processor for either specific pads from the list, or previously selected padstacks.

If you need to add an extra area to negate some openings in the soldermask, you could possibly achieve this by adding the graphic as a user layer, then using Mask Generator to add the masks together.

Do you have a picture of what you would like to achieve?

Regards,

Jackie

• 2. Re: Can you selectively add soldermask to a layout?
            jsherman

As you noted, I would like to negate some of the openings in the soldermask using a rectangular shape. Mask Generator isn't an option as we don't have that license. I will explore the padstack processor option.

Thank you,

John