5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2013 10:12 AM by barry_mcginley

Property Fields do not fully update when replace part on Schematic

greg.hall

This question refers to DxDesigner version 7.9.1.

When replacing a part on a schematic the properties for that part do not fully update.

How do I force DxDesigner to update all of the properties for the part?

In Picture 1 we have a Part R21 which we want to change from 1k Resistor to a 4k7 Resistor.

Picture_1.JPG

Select the part and using the replace symbol/part dialog replace the part with the 4k7 device, settings as per the next two pictures.

Picture_2.JPG

Picture_3.JPG

Once this is done then the part number in the properties has changed, but there is no change to other fields, such as Description, MPN1, MPN2, MPN3, Part Label and Part Name. As can be seen from this image.

Picture_4.JPG

The next step that I do is to package the design, with the following settings.

Picture_5.JPG

After this complete, it then updates the symbol on the schematic and in the properties it updates the Part Name, Part Label and Description fields.

However it DOES NOT update the MPN1, MPN2 and MPN3 fields as can be seen from this final image.

Picture_6.JPG

What I would like to know is what I am doing wrong and what I can do to ensure that DxDesigner updates ALL the property fields when replacing a symbol/part on the schematic.

(also I have attached a word document which includes the all the above pictures in case they cannot be read easily within this message).

• 1. Re: Property Fields do not fully update when replace part on Schematic
          robert_davies

Run Verify in DxDataBook after you replace the symbol. But, from the pictures it doesn't look like you are using DxDataBook. Without DxDataBook you will have to either delete the part and replace it to add all of the properties or manually edit the properties in the dialog. Another alternative would be to set up the PDB to 'back-annotate' these properties during package (it all depends on how you have your library set up).

• 2. Re: Property Fields do not fully update when replace part on Schematic
            Gary_Lameris

Wow, what a great description!

The first part was placed and properties annotated using DxDatabook.  I could tell because of the DxDB_Libname property.  If the property database is still available and connected you could RMB on the symbol, Load into DxDatabook.  This should open Databook with the Resistor library.  Some or all of the column headings may be filled, in the example below my part number has a property.  I want to remove the condition or all conditions.

databook1.png

Next using the query builder I searched for the resistor value, I used 4.02k for this example.  In this example I only had one 4.02k resistor, you may have more and you want to verify that the Cell Name is the same if the PCB is already created.

databook2.png

Use the Right Mouse Button over the correct value you want, and simply annotate unique, and the part properties should change to the desired properties.  In this case R86 changed from 10k to 4.02k

databook3.png

When using DxDatabook, it is not recommended to use Replace Symbol to replace a resistor with a like resistor.  Update PDB Properties on Symbol should also be UNCHECKED at ALL TIMES when using DxDatabook to manage properties.

databook4.png

Contact support or myself if you need more assistance.  gary_lameris@mentor.com

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Property Fields do not fully update when replace part on Schematic
              greg.hall

Thanks Gary,

I have followed your instructions which work.

They change the part number, value and description fields for the component on the schematic.

However they do not change the Part Label field or Part Name field.

Also they now list the MPN1, MPN2, MPN3, Package, and manufacturer's fields more than once. One set of data is for the old part and the other set of data is for the new part.

Here is a picture showing the duplicate information.

Picture_7.JPG

I have package the design, with Update PDB Properties UNCHECKED as recommended. But this does not resolve these extra fields.

Currently we are using version 7.9.1. Therefore is this now just a bug in this release which is fixed in a later version?

• 4. Re: Property Fields do not fully update when replace part on Schematic
                robert_davies

I suggest you contact Customer Support to get quick resolution of this issue, Communities is monitored by users in different time zones, here in Europe and in Gary's case, in the U.S.

One thing to check on the duplicate properties is whether one of a pair is listed as 'non-common' in the properties dialog which would indicate it was added before it was properly defined, or whether one of the pair is a 'block value' whilst the other is an 'instance value'.

Having checked this contact your local support representative.

Rob

• 5. Re: Property Fields do not fully update when replace part on Schematic
                  barry_mcginley

This method works in 9.3.1 although the steps and dialog look a little different, only a geek would notice the difference .