13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2013 4:26 AM by Phil_Davies

define a connector when creating ECU

pizniura

Hi All.

I am trying to build a device which has an inbuilt plug connector (ECU for example). I can assign pins to a symbol but how do I define a plug connector inside this symbol so that I will be able to connect a socket connector to it in the schematic?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: define a connector when creating ECU
          Nuri

Hi,

Have you tried creating a footprint in VeSys 2.0 Components.  If you define a "device connector" footprint for your ECU device then it will appear inside the ECU when placed on the schematic diagram. 

I hope that helps,

Kind Regards,

Nuri

• 2. Re: define a connector when creating ECU
            Sysign

Hi,

You will need to add a "Footprint" connector to your device in the Component Library.  This of course assumes you have created the device in your component library and linked it to your symbol.  Refer to "Adding a Harness Connector to a Device" in the VeSys 2.0 Components User Guide for details.

You have a choice between assigning the "Harness side" connector to the device or the actual device connector which will allow multiple mating connector options in your design (provided you have the mating options configured).

Please let me know if you need any more information,

-James

• 3. Re: define a connector when creating ECU
              pizniura

Thank you for your answers. I will try to do that.

Also I would like to change the style of the device plug (DIN male). Will I be able to do that?

For inline connectros and regular connectros I did that in the Style Set and I can't find it for the Symbol Device Connector.

• 4. Re: define a connector when creating ECU
                Phil_Davies

Hi

You need to change the style set to use DIN shape parameters. There is quite a long thread on this subject http://communities.mentor.com/message/6147  The following image indicates what you need to change.

DIN.png

Hope this helps

Phil D

• 5. Re: define a connector when creating ECU
                  pizniura

Hi.

Thank you for your answer. I was able to change the shape for inline and regular connectors (however the symbol is not scalable) but for device it does not work.

Then I assigned a footprint to my device and it seems to synchronize. But when I connect a plug connector to my device, the DIN format does not work.

• 6. Re: define a connector when creating ECU
                    Phil_Davies

Hi,

Looking at the attached image, you need to delete the Folders Top and Param Type and define the DIN style as it is shown in the image in my original post.  Also, are you sure that you mean a Device Side Connector as these are special connectors which inside the device.  The best way to ensure that you are editing the right connector is to select it then press Shft+E, the style will then be shown for that item.

Regards

Phil D

• 7. Re: define a connector when creating ECU
                      pizniura

Hi.

Thanks for the answer. Finally, I was able to influence the style of Device Side connector (the connector is assigned by a footprint).

But now I have a new problem. Even with the blank Device SIde Connector Shape Style I get the following shape and TWO connectors in the design window (see the attachment).

Can you please suggest the reason of the problem?

• 8. Re: define a connector when creating ECU
                        Phil_Davies

When you define a footprint you are able to define a Device Side connector i.e. The connector which is fitted to a device and the Harness Side Connector i.e. the connector fitted to the harness.  In most cases people are only interested in defining the Harness Side Connector.  In your footprint definition I think that you have defined device side connectors, is there a reason why you need this information ?

Regards

Phil D

• 9. Re: define a connector when creating ECU
                          Phil_Davies

I have just read your initial post which was answered by Nuri.  What you are seeing it the device connector as well as the harness connector on your design and in the browser, this is what you wanted wasnt it ?

Regards

Phil

• 10. Re: define a connector when creating ECU
                            pizniura

Hi.

Yes, I defined my footprint as a device side connector - it is more convenient for me. The thing I want is to be able to see on my schematic that the device has a connector. In my footprint tab I selected only a device side connector.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: define a connector when creating ECU
                              pizniura

Hi All.

Let me sum up what I did and what I can't still do with regards to my needs in Vesys 2.0

My major need is to see a Male-Female Style (not DIN, because I figured out it is too big for my schematics) on all the connectors in my diagram:

- inline connectors;

- regular one-side connectors;

- device side connector;

What I did and the results:

1) For inline and one-side connectors I changed the style to male-female (a smaller version of DIN) as it is described on the forum but my pin symbol is mirrored and looking into the wrong side - I want it to look normal (see the attached picture).

2) Although I have changed the shape parameters of device-side connectors the style does not change at all at the diagram (see the attachment). These connectors are determined by footprints.

3) I also would like device-side connectors to be plug-type, bot socket type. Is it possible?

Thank you for your help.

• 12. Re: define a connector when creating ECU
                                pizniura

Hi.

Any suggestion regarding my issue?

Thank you.

• 13. Re: define a connector when creating ECU
                                  Phil_Davies

Hi,

Your requirement is for a specific shape style, I think that we have got to the point where you need to raise and SR such that our customer support division can advise you.

Regards

Phil D