7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2013 9:10 AM by wolferm

Title sheet plotting in silkscreen CAM output

rceragioli

I cannot seems to plot my top silkscreen without getting the title sheet involved.

I cannot turn off 2D lines and text in the layer window, because I have 2D lines and text (from Library) in the top silkscreen layer.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Title sheet plotting in silkscreen CAM output
          jduquette

I put my titleblock on layer 20, and a mirrored titileblock on layer 19 for plotting bottom layer info.

• 2. Re: Title sheet plotting in silkscreen CAM output
            wolferm

Technically all layers provided in CAD data should be viewed as from primary side (top).

Unless you provide notes otherwise.

That being said of course any text in clad or silk on secondary (bottom) needs to be mirrored if viewed from top.

However why would you mirror the artwork title block for bottom when

standard practice (IPC) is to view it as from top. You would want them to be able to read layer info

as viewed from top as all other layers provided. I would think that could add some confusion to a fab house.

• 3. Re: Title sheet plotting in silkscreen CAM output
              rceragioli

Too simple!

I figured that since the title block came in from the library on "All Layers", that it was supposed to be on all.

I'll have to go back and reconfigure it.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Title sheet plotting in silkscreen CAM output
                wolferm

Yes, I don't actually like the way PADS handles things with respect to assy & silkscreen with outlines & text.

But yes you have to be very careful what is on "ALL Layers"

Problem is even the libraries PADS delivers is all over the place on this, many parts have part outlines on "All Layers" many have it on "Top Layer"

Mentors word on this is that it does not matter what layer the outline of a part is on All or Top,

but I beg to differ. If you need or want to use other layers to say make plating bars or other features you can

have problems with getting real outlines to plot as it confuses the system as to what is really a part outline or not.

I have set up my libs such that all part outlines are only defined on top layer.

Or in one library I do have part outlines only defined on Top Assy & Top Silk so the Assenbly View can be a bit more detailed than a silkscreen.

• 5. Re: Title sheet plotting in silkscreen CAM output
                  rceragioli

PADS is quite versatile-perhaps a bit too versatile.

Like trying to be everything to everybody.

I'll have to look over everything from now on-I had no idea that items in the libraries supplied with PADS would be set up this way.

Fortunately (it seems), I created most of my parts over the course of several years in PCAD, so they seem to be coming in fine, once I translated them into PADS (it was PAINFUL-a whole other subject).

Thanks for the input-I hate being a newbie, but it's gotta be done.

• 6. Re: Title sheet plotting in silkscreen CAM output
                    jduquette

Yes, i agree, all fabrications drawings need to be viewed from the top.

I use the 'mirrored' titleblock when I generate a PDF drawing for the bottom assembly drawing.  Create PDF can only mirror the entire drawing, so I need a mirrored titleblock to generate a legible bottom assembly drawing with a titleblock.  This is for internal documentation only, not for fabrication.

Its a kludge...

• 7. Re: Title sheet plotting in silkscreen CAM output
                      wolferm

Gotcha, I assumed you were talking about an artwork or film title block and not for a drawing.