3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2013 6:31 AM by jduquette

Cross probing with Pads Logic and Layout

chris.thierolf

If I have multiple schematic and layout files open how do I effectivley link to the appropriate layoiut from the correspnding schematic? Often, I have a schematic or 2 open and a few layout designs (files) for viewing and comparing, but I want to link a specific schematic to one of the layout files already opn.. When I go to Tools-->Pads Layout in logic, the document preselected is often not the correct file. Instead of closing the correct layout file and reopening through PADS Logic, Tools, I'd rather do it while it is currently open. The cross probing link Works fine if only one layout file is open, but gets confused with multiples...I need someway of quickly pointed the Logic schematic to the correct Layout file.

thanks

Chris

• 1. Re: Cross probing with Pads Logic and Layout
          jduquette

I agree, it works much better with only one session of Logic and one session of Layout.

You start the cross probing in Logic.  In the Pads Layout dialog select the 'Document' tab.  Select <Open> to select the proper Layout design to cross probe with.

I don't believe you can have mulitple cross probing sessions running at the same time... let me know if that works.

• 2. Re: Cross probing with Pads Logic and Layout
            chris.thierolf

No, doesn't work. That method closes the current session only to reopen it again.

• 3. Re: Cross probing with Pads Logic and Layout
              jduquette

Interesting.  When I hit 'PADS Layout' in Logic to cross probe, Logic will link with the first Layout design that was opened.  Hitting open only reloads the design into the first session of layout.  That isn't the way this used to work; Mentor must have changed this in 9.#.  It appears that now you can only cross probe between the first instance of Logic and the first session of Layout?  Good question for SupportNet.

I have Sch B and Layout A open.  then I open Layout B.  Cross probing is from Sch B to layout A.  When I hit <open> and select Layout B, I now have two copies of Layout B open, and one is cross probing.