4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2013 11:53 AM by dgould2

PADS connectivity on a plane hatch outline

dgould2

Hi,

I have a design in  PADS Layout 9.5 and I'm having issues with verify connectivity.

I have an isolated ground plane hatch outline with a couple of components that have traces which connect to the flooded outline using stitching vias. I'm seeing, however, verify design errors on connectivity reporting that the isolated ground plane is not connected. Further, ratsnest appears to indicate no connectivity between the stitching vias and the plane hatch outline.

The vias thermals are set to flood over and the thermals I setup on other through hole components within the isolated ground are all generated correctly. I've attached a screenshot of the plane hatch outline and circled where the error was being reported. The plane hatch outline is on the top layer and the component in green is on the bottom layer.

I feel like I'm missing something here, does anyone have any ideas where the problem might lie???

Greetings,

Darren

• 1. Re: PADS connectivity on a plane hatch outline
          jduquette

When I zoom in I can see your via is not connected to the plane (there is a gap between it and the flood) so this is a real connectivity error.

On the <Tools><Options>(thernals) dialog, is 'routed pad thermals' unchecked?  If it is you may have a tiny trace attached to the via under the pad on the top layer.    You'll need to delete that trace before PADS will connect it with a thermal.  You can quickly test this by checking 'routed pad thermals' and see if the pour connects then.

• 2. Re: PADS connectivity on a plane hatch outline
            dgould2

Thanks for the quick suggestions.

Here's a snapshot zoom of the via. Where do you see the gap?

The options dialog routed pad thermals was and is checked.

Greetings,

Darren

• 3. Re: PADS connectivity on a plane hatch outline
              jduquette

Oh, I thought the 'purple' color was a combination of the colors below it showing an opening.

I might have my logic backwards on the 'routed pad thermals' so you might still want to try unchecking it and pouring again, just for a test.

When there is a connectivity error, PADS sees a net broken into two pieces.  you might be connedted properly at the warning you are looking at, and the disconnection may be near the other warning.  You nned to trace the conection between the two warnings and see where the break is.

Remember, verify design only checks what is on the screen, so if you don't have the entire PCB in view it can miss errors that are present.

• 4. Re: PADS connectivity on a plane hatch outline
                dgould2

Thanks again for the quick response.

The problem was a copper plane below the top layer which was assigned the isolated ground but not connected. Once I connected to the plane, the error went away.

Darren