2 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2013 11:58 PM by roger.green

Is it possible to set a rule so that lines and text that are on a via that has a solder mask pad are ignored in a silkscreen checklist

roger.green

We set vias to have a small solder mask pad in the center just the size of the drill. This may or may not now be required by maufartures but was done to stop out gasing, the problem is that when we run the checks it error on the lines and text that are over the vias. Does anybody now have to set the checklist so that this does not happen.

Thnaks in advance.

Roger

• 1. Re: Is it possible to set a rule so that lines and text that are on a via that has a solder mask pad are ignored in a silkscreen checklist
          max_clark

Roger,

If I understand correctly, what you are indicating is that you allow silkscreen to be on via pads and are not concerned when via holes are present where silkscreen intersects.  The reason you are not concerned is that all the vias are going to be tented closed with soldermask from both sides.

In the ODB++ product model used for analysis, the soldermask openings are represented by pads of the same size as the associated drill.  The instructions you must be giving to the fabricator is to tent vias, which would result in the fabricator deleting these pads from the soldermask layer prior to creating the soldermask artwork.

If I have all of the above correct, then inside the ERF Manager you should set the ranges ss2pad_via and ss2via to a blue or "Report None".  You also might consider removing these pads yourself before providing the ODB++ product model to your fabricator.  This can be done easily with Valor NPI and repeatably by using the Product Modeling Interface and implemented through the Design Process Wizard to be completely automatic.

Let me know if I have not answered your question.

Regards,

Max Clark

• 2. Re: Is it possible to set a rule so that lines and text that are on a via that has a solder mask pad are ignored in a silkscreen checklist
            roger.green

Max

Thanks for the answer, all of your assumptions are correct, we use a lot of different manufactures as we are a design house and we have found it better to let them decide on the process that they want to use tent or not, so we leave them there. We not have the ERF manager so I have to set these in the old way in an ASCII file so how would I change  theses settings.

ss2pad_via          =  -1,-1,0                              .o -1

ss2via                    =  -1,-1,0                              .o -1

These are from an old Valor Enterprise ERF. 

Roger Green

Designer / Security Controller

Advanced Layout Solutions Ltd

Fronds Park, Frouds Lane,

Aldermaston, Reading,

Berkshire, RG7 4LH, UK

+44 (0) 118 971 1935( DDI )

+44 (0) 118 971 1930 (Main Line)

+44 (0) 118 971 1931 ( Fax )

<http://www.alspcb.com/> www.alspcb.com

<http://www.signalintegrityanalysis.com/> www.signalintegrityanalysis.com

Reg Office: Fronds Park, Frouds Lane, Aldermaston, Reading, Berkshire,RG7 4LH, England.   Company Reg No. 3028257

The information contained in this message is legally privileged and confidential information intended for the eyes of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by telephone.

Think green, keep it on screen