6 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2013 3:01 AM by davide.marsili

Dxdatabook & library manager configuration

davide.marsili

Hallo,

I have a database with only one table. This table contains all of the components and all of the information about my components. In this database there are only two fields:

1. part number;

2. description;

In the database there is not a column for the symbol specifications.

It is possible to configure a library, with many partition (resistor, capacitor, inductor etc..), with this kind of database? How can I associate the resistor "A" in the DxDatabook with the resistor "A" in the Central Library (.lmc file)? Can you explain me the detailed procedure?

Thank you.

Davide

• 1. Re: Dxdatabook & library manager configuration
          rocco_gruschwitz

Hi Davide,

I would try to add queries to your database. A query could be based on a filter for your description table. For example you could add all partnumbers to the query which have the string "res" in the description. As a result you use the queries in the databook configuration instead of your single table.

It is also possible to merge in a query the single table from your database with a second database created out of your central library.

Which database do you use? Access?

Best regards

Rocco

• 2. Re: Dxdatabook & library manager configuration
            davide.marsili

Hi Rocco,

Thank you for your answer, I have an oracle database. Can you explain me how can I use the queries inside the DxDatabook?

Thank you,

Davide

• 3. Re: Dxdatabook & library manager configuration
              rocco_gruschwitz

Hi Davide,

you have to create a ODBC data source for your database. I guess you already did this. Please make sure that you use the 32 bit ODBC driver for ORACLE. To do this key in after the start button on W7 "ODBC 32 W7".

The queries appear in the list of available tables like the one you had before. Instead of selecting a table just use the query. There should no difference during setting up the databook config.

Rocco

• 4. Re: Dxdatabook & library manager configuration
                davide.marsili

Hi Rocco,

I have configured my 32 ODBC driver, but my problem is:

In my database I have one table named i.e. "DB" with all of the informations, then I configure the dxdatabook with the ODBC driver and after loading the "DB" table I create a new library (clicking on" insert library" from the dxdatabook) named "capacitor". Now, from library manager I create a new central library based on the "DB.dbc" file and finally I make a new partition named "capacitor" in the library manager.

So my problem is that  I have no match between the dxdatabook and the component in my central library. If I open the dxdatabook there isn't any component in the capacitor "partition". How can I fix this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Davide 

• 5. Re: Dxdatabook & library manager configuration
                  rocco_gruschwitz

Look at the picture below from Access. On the right I created a new query called "Capacitor Query" in the database. It will contain from the table capacitors on the left side only the parts which have the string Tantalum at the beginning of the description field. This is something you have to do in Oracle.

query.png

Once you have done this, you can create a new library/table called "caps tantalum" in dxdatabook. The datasource is the ODBC source to your Oracle database. As table name I can select now the name of my new created query "Capacitors Query".

databook.png

After I have done this I see in the databook only the tantalum caps when I select the library "caps tantalum".

databook.png

Rocco

• 6. Re: Dxdatabook & library manager configuration
                    davide.marsili

Thank you very muche Rocco, I have completely understand your explanation.

Davide