1 Reply Latest reply on May 24, 2013 10:27 AM by guy_wettstein

What is an acceptable "software monitoring system" for Sourcery CodeBench Lite on Linux?

david11

I am looking to install "Sourcery CodeBench Lite for ARM EABI" on my Linux PC but I seem to have come unstuck with the "License Agreement".  My PC is running Linux Mint, which is a Ubuntu/Debian derivation and is currently is 100% pure GPL so I never have never had worry about licensing.  I see that if I agree the Sourcery I am legally agreeing that I have "Customer's software monitoring system, records, accounts and sublicensing documents deemed relevant by the internationally recognized accounting firm".  What I have is the normal OS package manager that I normally access using "apt-get" and Ime sure there will be a command option to get apt-get to dump a list of the packages I have installed.  Does anyone know if that is enought to meet the requirements of clause 16 or do I need something more?  If I have to buy and install FlexNet then it kind of defeats the purpose of using GCC.

I realise this may be seen as being pedantic but recently my employer was accused of software piracy and dire threats made.  It was claimed we were using commerical software for the obsolte 8051 processor that is Windows only and wont even run on my PC.  I advised them we have no commerically licensed software and we refused to purchase their unwanted software.  When pressed for proof we used their software they advised we had advertised for programmers with experince with their software.  That is true, as advertising for GCC only programers get less applicants than if you list a range of embedded C tool chains, and people using commerical embedded C tool chains can usually be brought up to speed with GCC quickly.  Regardless of this explaination we have apparently been reported for priacy anyway and I fully expect to be audited.  Right now I have no fear of an audit since I only have GPL software, but I really worry what happens once I install Sourcery.  Am I opening a can of worms for myself?  Should I just keep looking for another GCC ARM tool chain?