3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 5:39 AM by milostnik

Confusion in the behavior of the package dialog box window

milostnik

Hello all,

I am confused by the behavior of the package dialog box window if started from DxD in EE7.9.5.

Opening the package we have a dialog box window showing up. After setting the option the user has some buttons to choose from:

ok, close, apply and help.

It is my expectation that

- The "Help" button will open a help page. It does.

-The "Apply" button will set the options and run the package without closing the window. We have noticed that the apply button is rarely active, so I can not explain what it does.

-The "Ok" button will start the package process and close the window. It starts the process but the window at the end of the process is still open. The only time it closes is if the design is completely error free in the first run.

-The "Close" button will close the window without starting anything. It does.

I hoped the help would explain the behavior, but help is rightfully more on explaining the options that to the "logically clear" use of the buttons.

Thanks for any clues

Matija

• 1. Re: Confusion in the behavior of the package dialog box window
          milostnik

I am wondering if anybody noticed this kind of behavior. Especially that "apply" is grayed out is for me a strange thing.

And an additional question: is this congruent with the design guide lines for requesters?

Thanks

Matija

• 2. Re: Confusion in the behavior of the package dialog box window
            robert_davies

This is simply a defect in the implementation, the 'Apply' button is unnecessary in this case as the form is modal and 'OK' will only dismiss the dialog if packaging is successful, it could be problematic if the dialog closed but packaging had failed.

We'll look at fixing it in a future release.

Also, would an option just to run packager with the existing options be useful, rather than always showing the dialog, which isn't changed that often?

• 3. Re: Confusion in the behavior of the package dialog box window
              milostnik

Hello Rob,

Thanks for responding so quickly. I was wondering about the behavior, and now I know that my intuition was pointing towards something "odd" .

Now personally I am a big believer of not starting anything without first asking the user if he wants to keep some settings, just start the action or abort because he doesn't really want to do it right now.

Like I proposed in D11360 for Expedition, if you have such a button that would start packaging I would prefer to be asked the three possible questions:

1) Start package immediately (keeping current options)

2) Show the package dialog box (possibility to change options)

3) abort

This would then together with the same behavior in Layout

1) Annotate immediately

2) Show the project integration requester

3) abort

have a unification and a neat consistency of actions.

Let see how the other users comment on it.

Matija