7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2013 6:47 AM by Pete

Power/Ground parts

rceragioli

I have been having trouble with power/ground part types in PADS Logic 9.5.

I have made a +24V power part in my library.

I have used it in several designs, but now that I have started a new design, I find that the +24V part is not available.

Same thing with a ground symbol with a shorter pin than the standard ground part.

I have added all libraries just to be sure, but this condition persists.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Power/Ground parts
          jduquette

Sounds like the parts aren't in the library you think they are.  Here is what I do when this happens:

Open the good schematic

- Open LIbrary Manager in Logic

- Select 'All Libraries'

- Select 'Logic' in the Filter

- Enter your symbol (+12V  is a good example)

- press <apply>

You should see libraryname:+12V (libraryname is the library that contains the part) Is that library in the list for your other design?

In Logic, start the Part Editor

- Select <File><New> and then select a power symbol (what does it complain about?)

- Select <Edit Electrical> and see what symbols are programmed

If this doesn't help you find the issue than it may be a 9.5 bug.

• 2. Re: Power/Ground parts
            rceragioli

Thanks for your reply.

I performed the actions you described.

Here is what I found-

Sounds like the parts aren't in the library you think they are.  Here is what I do when this happens:

Open the good schematic

- Open LIbrary Manager in Logic

- Select 'All Libraries'

- Select 'Logic' in the Filter

- Enter your symbol (+12V  is a good example)

- press <apply>

You should see libraryname:+12V (libraryname is the library that contains the part) Is that library in the list for your other design?

I did this.

I found the power part, "+24V", in the "common" library, just where I made it.

In Logic, start the Part Editor

- Select <File><New> and then select a power symbol (what does it complain about?)

- Select <Edit Electrical> and see what symbols are programmed.

I did this, also.

But I had to place a part in the new file, then connect a wire and terminate it with the desired power symbol.

Fine, "+24V' placed.

But I could not find an "Edit Electrical" command anywhere in the menus ort modeless commands, so I was not able to see what symbols are being programmed.

If this doesn't help you find the issue than it may be a 9.5 bug.

I kind of doubt it is a bug-I think it is my lack of knowledge in using PADS, as I am fairly new to it.

In the file that I am having trouble with, I also get a "Font Replacement" warning when I first open the file.

PADS tells me that it wants to replace "Romansim Stroke Font" with "Romansim Stroke Font".

Huh?

I have made a small effort to find where I can specify startup configurations, but apparently I haven't made enough of an effort, because I found nothing yet.

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

• 3. Re: Power/Ground parts
              jduquette

"But I had to place a part in the new file, then connect a wire and terminate it with the desired power symbol.

Fine, "+24V' placed. "

That is how PADS works.

"But I could not find an "Edit Electrical" command anywhere..."

In the Part Editor, it is the fifth button from the left/top on the Part Editor Toolbar; it looks like a 6-pin IC.  Use <view><toolbars><Part Editor Toolbar> to see it.

"PADS tells me that it wants to replace "Romansim Stroke Font" with "Romansim Stroke Font""

That sounds like you are bringing in an old design.  You can ignore this, or I believe you can find the solution in SupportNet

"...specify startup configurations..."

If they haven't changed it in 9.5, configuration is defined in default.asc (Layout), default.ccf (colors), and default.txt (Logic).

• 4. Re: Power/Ground parts
                rceragioli

"But I had to place a part in the new file, then connect a wire and terminate it with the desired power symbol.

Fine, "+24V' placed. "

That is how PADS works.

Yes, I just wanted to let you know what my actions were.

"But I could not find an "Edit Electrical" command anywhere..."

In the Part Editor, it is the fifth button from the left/top on the Part Editor Toolbar; it looks like a 6-pin IC.  Use <view><toolbars><Part Editor Toolbar> to see it.

I tried your suggestion again, and I opened the good file and started the Part Editor.

I selected "File, New".

The dialog that appeared had the "off-page types" area grayed out, so that I could only select the options on the left, like "Part Type", etc.

"PADS tells me that it wants to replace "Romansim Stroke Font" with "Romansim Stroke Font""

That sounds like you are bringing in an old design.  You can ignore this, or I believe you can find the solution in SupportNet.

This is what I have been doing.

I thought this was a symptom of "something" I was doing wrong in Logic.

"...specify startup configurations..."

If they haven't changed it in 9.5, configuration is defined in default.asc (Layout), default.ccf (colors), and default.txt (Logic).

After I replied to your first reply, I decided to start a new file, and copy and paste my work into the empty new file.

I deleted all of my +V and ground connections prior to doing the copy and paste.

At first, the nets were still there, but after I waited a few seconds, the nets disappeared from the Project Explorer.

After I did the paste, I reconnected the deleted power/ground connections.

The symbols that I previously created are all there now.

I cannot recall exactly what I did when I started this file, but I will be more careful in the future when starting new files, that's for sure!

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

• 5. Re: Power/Ground parts
                  jduquette

To get to the power parts, you need to use <File><Open, not <File><New>.  Sorry about that.

I also just realized you can get to the electrical editor with <Edit><Part Type Editor>.

• 6. Re: Power/Ground parts
                    rceragioli

I did as you suggested and looked at my power parts, and everything that I had created is there.

I just wish I had the "old" file, but I have overwritten it with the new one that "works".

I also wish that I could remember how I started the "old" file, but I don't.

Thanks again for your help, jduquette!

• 7. Re: Power/Ground parts
                      Pete

If you have Part Types or CAE symbols in multiple libraries with the same name (like $GND_SYMS) Logic will use the parts and symbols from the first library in your list.  In the library dialog, manage lib list button, move the library with your desired symbol up.  Be careful, if you ahve other redundant parts or symbols.