4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2013 4:35 AM by philip

Generate thermals on associated copper

Rlongton

Is it possible to generate thermals on a pin that has associated copper?

I have used a POUR keepout to create a seperation between the associated pad and the same net pour. Now I need thermal spokes to the pad.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Generate thermals on associated copper
          robert_davies

You should post this in the appropriate PCB community, PADS or Expedition, for a quicker response.

• 2. Re: Generate thermals on associated copper
            cathy_terwedow

Done! Ralph told me he's a PADS customer, so I've moved his question here.

Folks, let's show Ralph how well the community works! Who is going to be the first to help him out?

• 3. Re: Generate thermals on associated copper
              jduquette

Ralph, I don' t believe you can; thermals are only defined for square, rectangular, round, and oval pads <Tools><Options>(thermal tab).  When you go through the effort to define associated copper, I believe you'll need to define the thermal connection at the same time with the copper pour shape and possibly copper keepouts.

• 4. Re: Generate thermals on associated copper
                philip

Yes you can, for any pin whether it is plane or copper pour.

Tools>Options>thermals. This gives an overall control of drilled and SMT thermals. For example click on the SMT thermals and square pad box and it will give you a drop down box to choose how to attach to the copper or plane. Choose the spoke width and minimum spokes. When you do a pour next time, it will generate the thermal with these settings.

I used this for a board with stiching vias and SMT components. I flood over the vias, but put a 0.1mm spoke width on the SMT pads.

Theoretically, you can do this on an individual component, select the pad properties>pad stacks select the pads you want to change on the layer you want to change and change the pad style from pad to thermal. However, I can't get it to work for some reason. Maybe the step above overrides the component?

This is probably best done when you create the decal in the library.

I think this is what you were wanting?