8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2013 3:37 PM by David_S

Multi symbols for 1 part, different pin names etc.

David_S

OK, first, I know I've done this 10 or 20 times, but now every time I try, I get errors.  I have a uP, I created a custom set of symbols (~12) for.  Pin names and locations were all over the place, as each pin has about 7 functions, but they wanted them to just display the function they were using, and and group that way.  Now someone wants a generic version.  Pin names don't match, and neither do the symbols.  I've created the new symbols (~6), but can't seem to get them added to the part.  I think I'm just skipping a step.

What's the correct procedure for adding this new symbol????

• 1. Re: Multi symbols for 1 part, different pin names etc.
          jeremy_parker

If I am following what you are asking for: In the PDB editor, select the part you want to add the alternate symbols to. Open the pin mapping and in the symbol section, click "Import". Leave the "Create new gate information" unchecked, and click apply (since you have more than one symbol) to add the new symbols.

This procedture will add the alternate symbols to the symbol list of the part but with the pin names not mapped to any pin numbers.

From there, you have to manually map the pin names to the appropriate gate/slot/pin number. After all pins have been mapping, you should be able to click ok to commit the mapping.

• 2. Re: Multi symbols for 1 part, different pin names etc.
            yu.yanfeng

It's not supported to map different pin names to one part whatever the tool be.  However, there is  workaround there. You can create different symbols and assign every symbol with a unique pin label but pin name is same.

yanfeng

• 3. Re: Multi symbols for 1 part, different pin names etc.
              David_S

OK, I'm doing it correctly.  Must be making a mistake while adding all those pins.

Sure wish the tool would allow importing the pins without making a new gate, as I can make a new part with these symbols in about 2 minutes with the pin number import turned on!!!!   (I think I'll check the ideas site for this, as I'm sure others would like to have multiple symbols like this, easily!

• 4. Re: Multi symbols for 1 part, different pin names etc.
                David_S

Sorry about that, to me because I'm old school, the "Pin name" is the label, and the "Pin number" is the number, even if it has text in it.  The subject should be "... different pin labels ...".  

• 5. Re: Multi symbols for 1 part, different pin names etc.
                  yu.yanfeng

Hi David,

You are absolutedly right. Mentor doesn't have an attribute named as Pin Lable. It's only a  loose text string for labling pin, same with the Pin Name in default, and I used to call them as Pin Lable~.

In symbol editor, Use can edit that loose text manually to satisfy  thier different requiremnts for pin lables, while keep the original pin name unchanged. Here is an example, The pin name is "1", pin number also is "1", but Pin Lable is TRX1.  Becasue you can change this lable with unchanged pin name, so it's so versertile to create different symbol with differant lables  for one part

1.jpg

yanfeng

• 6. Re: Multi symbols for 1 part, different pin names etc.
                    David_S

OK, I've now tried this 2 more times, and the last time, as far as I know, I made zero mistakes, but when I try to save, it says I now have an incomplete part.

This is driving me nuts, and I know I've mapped all the pins, and I can make a "new" part with the new symbols and I get all 256 pins added, and no error.  So when making 2 different parts with the same cell, and different groups of symbols, using the import pin numbers from the symbol, both are perfect, no dups or NC.

But, when I take the old part and try to add the second set of symbols, not making new gate, and then assigning pin numbers to labels, it becomes incomplete.

Is there any way to trouble shoot this issue?  (error files somewhere????)

(BTW, I just found an issue with the NEXT part in the library, could this cause this issue?????)

• 7. Re: Multi symbols for 1 part, different pin names etc.
                      David_S

Deleted the bad part, and tried again, and still a no go.

Would different "Pin type" cause an issue.  I'll try that in the morning.  (I have the types from the current released symbol, and I'll try applying them to the new one.)

• 8. Re: Multi symbols for 1 part, different pin names etc.
                        David_S

Too many parts to add this, plus they want the symbols broken up differently, so that wouldn't fix my issue.  Thanks anyway!

(On of the companies I worked for using Board Station did this, and it worked VERY well.)