6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2015 2:23 AM by fireraizor

Packager coughing up rippers

michael.j.holmes

Have a design that passed the Packager previously. Made a couple minor edits, and now every bus ripper in the design is generating the following errors:

ERROR: Block ABC, Page 16, Symbol ripper:

No part data.

No Part Number, Part Name, nor Part Label has been entered.

Please enter some data to enable packaging.

ERROR: Block ABC, Page 16, Symbol ripper:

Duplicate symbol reference ripper on page.

Please replace duplicate symbols.

447 errors like this. Not clear why it's an odd number.

None of my edits were anywhere near a bus. I can't seem to find two rippers with the same reference, either.

I found this tech note:

http://supportnet.mentor.com/portal?do=reference.technote&id=MG552304&lang=en&prod=C107-S123-G145-P10233

But I did not change ripper symbols mid design as it suggests as a cause, and running the ripper update twice (and then a few times more) did not fix the issue.

I went in and deleted and redrew several ripped nets, but they still error out.

I have an email into our librarian to see if it's something on that end. It's like the ripper symbol itself is messed up in the central library.

• 1. Re: Packager coughing up rippers
          michael.weinberg

Hi Michael,

Strange things do happen with busses, particularly when adding or deleting elements, but this is not the case for you. Something seems to be going on with your ripper symbols.

What Packager options did you run? Delete, rebuild, update, etc.?

Check that the ripper symbol exists in the central library, that it is constructed properly (i.e. Symbol Type=Annotate and Forward to PCB=False) and that it is listed as a special component (Setup>Settings>Special Components>Net Ripper) in DxDesigner.

Ripper symbols are typically found in the "builtin" symbol partition when creating a new libraries.

Regards,

Mike

• 2. Re: Packager coughing up rippers
            A.Ozenne

Hello Michael,

We have the same issue using the defautl ripper symbol and since it has been one almost year since your post, I wonder if you have found the reason for the packaging errors and a way to correct it?

Anthony

• 3. Re: Packager coughing up rippers
              michael.weinberg

Hello Anthony,

Try the solution from the technote referenced by Michael Holmes in his original post, copied below for your convenience. Here's the SupportNet link: http://supportnet.mentor.com/portal?do=reference.technote&id=MG552304&lang=en&prod=C107-S123-G145-P10233.

Assuming you've arleady tried that, take a look at your project template files. The templates should reference the default Mentor ripper symbol (this is specified in the Special Components section of the project file).

Apparently, there are no problems reported for projects that begin with the default rippers, even if they are later changed to a custom ripper symbol.

The problem seems to occur when starting out with a custom ripper symbol and then changing to the default ripper. If you start out with a custom ripper in your project, do not change them or this problem may occur.

Best regards,

Mike

Solution

Workaround - Repeat the Update Other Objects... Bus Rippers process

Although the process of updating the design to use the Mentor default ripper symbol causes Packager to generate a "No part data" error for the rippers in the design, repeating the process corrects the Packager problem with minimal impact.

After using "Tools > Update Other Objects... and select Type: Bus Rippers and Range: Project" and getting the Packager error...

ERROR: Block Schematic1, Page 1, Symbol ripper:
              No part data.
              No Part Number, Part Name, nor Part Label has been entered.
              Please enter some data to enable packaging.

...run "Tools > Update Other Objects... and select Type: Bus Rippers and Range: Project" once again and then run Packager again.

The "No part data" Packager errors for the ripper symbols should now be gone.

Background

The problem only appears to occur if a design is started with a customer ripper symbol and the design is later changed to the default Mentor ripper symbol.

The problem does not appear to be with either of the custom ripper or Mentor default ripper symbols specifically. Each can be constructed correctly and used initially with the design without any problem.

If you start a design with the default Mentor ripper symbol, this problem does not occur.

If you start the design with the default Mentor ripper symbol and later change to use a custom ripper symbol, this problem does not occur.

If you start a design having specified a custom ripper symbol in the Special Components section of the project file, and do not  change to use the Mentor default ripper symbol, this problem does not occur.

• 4. Re: Packager coughing up rippers
                A.Ozenne

Thanks Michael. I tried this solution but it was not working. The solution I found is this one:

• disconnect every net ripped from a bus so that there is no more ripper in the schematic.
                • In DxDatabook window, in the Symbol View tab, I remove the symbol named "referenceRipperSymbol.1" something like "referenceripper.1" in the [local symbols] Partition (I don't remember the actual name as I have removed it and I don't know how to recreate the issue on purpose)
                • I reconnect every net to the bus. The default ripper symbol is used automatically.
                • Run packager

I don't know how the "referenceripper" symbol appeared in the local library but this was what was creating the packaging errors.

Regards,

Anthony

• 5. Re: Packager coughing up rippers
                  michael.weinberg

That's good news, Anthony. Thanks for sharing your solution.

It's too bad all the bus nets had to be deleted and re-established. I wonder if there is a more efficient workaround.

For example, if you were to just delete the rippers and not the bus nets attached to them, and then delete the local ripper symbol in DxDatabook (no idea how that got there either). Then simply move the bus segment onto the ends of the wires to reestablish the rippers. In theory this would leave the bus bit assignments (netnames) intact.

Regards,

Mike

• 6. Re: Packager coughing up rippers
                    fireraizor

Another solution is to edit the local symbol and to set the attribute "Forward To PCB" to false. After that, the packager runs through without problems (at least with my projects).