12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 2:55 PM by agreen1

NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 Performance

Jerry_Suiter

Hello,

I know there has been some discussion on performance issues specific to the NVIDIA Quadro graphics cards with the latest drivers.  We have verified that the Quadro FX series also seems to have the similar issues as the K1000/M1000 and K2000/M2000 series.

On a Win7 64-bit machine we verified that drivers 259.57 and 276.28 both had good display performance however newer drivers like 307 and the latest, 320, have very bad graphics performance which was very noticeable with plane metal enabled while zooming in/out of a small board.

Regards,

Jerry

• 1. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 Performance
          nathaniel.arbizu

So if we need to install updated drivers for security purposes, Mentor's recommendation would be to not use these graphics cards?

• 2. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 Performance
            Jerry_Suiter

Hello,

I understand there is no one solution to this driver issue.  Because of this, from the Mentor standpoint we only have three options:

• Use one of the older 259/276 driver versions
            • Use GDI and turn off OpenGL until the driver issue is fixed
            • Change graphics card to one that does not have this graphics driver issue

We would recommend using the older drivers but if this is not an option, then the only choice would be to not use OpenGL until the driver issue is fixed or change to different graphics hardware that does not have this performance issue.

Regards,

Jerry

• 3. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 Performance
              nathaniel.arbizu

I have some questions about your recommendation of "not use OpenGL until the driver issue is fixed".

Is there a timeline to get the driver fixed? Is there a reference number for a ticket that has been submitted to NVIDIA? Has this even been reported?

• 4. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 Performance
                Jerry_Suiter

Hello,

Yes we have contacted NVIDIA however they have been very slow to respond.

Regards,

Jerry

• 5. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 Performance
                  yu.yanfeng

Jerry,

I share an experence about graphics with you. This year, I have received  more six reports from our collegues, they told me that the machine get crashed and reboot while  invoking Cadence Allegro and they have no way to make Allegro works even thye have re-installed Allegro. I spend hours to troubshoot this symptom and foud it all were caused by Opengl Enabled, include AMD and Nvidia.

yanfeng

• 6. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 Performance
                    nathaniel.arbizu

This forum is for Mentor created tools. I suggest you post your findings to support.cadence.com. To disable openGL for allegro when launching use the command line:

allegro -noopengl

• 7. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 Performance
                      yu.yanfeng

~ I just wanna provide a fact that much application may have  Graphics issues, not just ExpeditionPCB, so you may take double check to graphics drivers first if an issue be encouted.

yanfeng

• 8. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 Performance
                        Jerry_Suiter

Hello,

Talked to NVIDIA today and was able to provide them a test app showing the degregation in their drivers performance.  It appears this has moved from support into engineering on their side.

I will give them to the end of this week and call back to see if they made progress.

Thanks,
                        Jerry

• 9. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 Performance
                          Jerry_Suiter

Hello,

NVIDIA got back to me and had a suggestion specific to the 3D Graphics settings for their driver.  They said:

Can you switch the base profile to "Workstation- Dynamic Streaming"? We've found that when this is done, the perf numbers are much closer to the base/good perf numbers.

We did a quick test on a Dell laptop with a Quadro 2000M graphics card and it was 5X faster when this change was made.  So under Manage 3D Settings change the Global Presets to "Workstation App - Dynamic Streaming" and hit apply.

NVIDIAControlPanel.png

I have not tried this out with my FX 1800, I am concerned this option does not exist, but it seems to work with the newer Quadro hardware.  Also we will continue to do some testing next week to make sure this provides the performance of the older driver.

Thanks,

Jerry

• 10. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 Performance
                            Jerry_Suiter

Hello,

I confirmed on my FX 1800 when I changed the NVIDIA driver setting to Global Presets to "Workstation App - Dynamic Streaming" the performance increased by 36x with our test application.  I also have an Expedition PCB Design which clearly showed the performance problem with the graphics driver and I tested Expedition PCB graphics itself, Pan, Zoom, etc. and the performance was dynamic with the latest driver and this change is the NVIDIA Global Presets.

So we will continue to do some testing in house, however in my mind the performance issue with the FX 1800 is solved based on this change.

Regards,

Jerry

• 11. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 Performance
                              Filip-Vercauteren

Hi Jerry,

I've just tried the NVidia setting "Workstation App - Dynamic Streaming" on my NVidia Quadro FX 3700, with Expedition again in OpenGL mode.

This is a big improvement.

With "All On" & plane data filled, on 3 big designs, all running in parallel, Expedition panning and zooming seems to behave again like I remembered.

Only when "fit board", there is some degradation, slowing down the panning function a bit, while zooming in or out has some slight hiccups.

So this is already a big help for me, as I had disabled the OpenGL mode some months ago, as using OpenGL mode became unworkable.

Thank you very much!

Filip

• 12. Re: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 Performance
                                agreen1

Jerry & All,

This same fix works for Nvidia Quadro K600 on a 64 bit Win 7 workstation; graphics performance changed from "dog slow" (unusable) to "quite good".

Thanks for the suggestion!

Regards,

Andy