7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2014 6:15 PM by xiangqiong.wang

How to use Edit>Circuit Move &Copy?

xiangqiong.wang

Dear all:

I was puzzled with how to use Edit >Circuit Move &Copy now. I want to move some components and traces to the right 6mm,when I use the below step, I couldn’t move accurate 6mm.

Step1:Edit>Circuit Move & Copy

Step2:In the popped Selection Filter Window, Mark Parts, Test points and Traces.

Step3:Select the components and traces which I want to move. Set the Custom Grid 6mm.

Step4:Move the selection, but I find that I couldn’t move accurate 6mm.

Could you please help check or tell me the qualified working method?

• 1. Re: How to use Edit>Circuit Move &Copy?
          ian_gabbitas

Do not use the grid settings for this operation. To move the circuit by a specified amount you should use the keyin command ms dx=<x,y>

Where ms means to Move Selected objects and dx= will allow you to move them relative to the current location.

So, after you have selected the components, traces and vias, simply keyin the command with the desired distance in the x and y. For example, to move the selected objects 6mm to the right you would keyin:

ms dx=6,0

Because y is zero, you can omit it from the keyin, like so:

ms dx=6

Regards,

Ian

• 2. Re: How to use Edit>Circuit Move &Copy?
            siddanagouda.bhasagi

Hi,

Please make sure that all traces & vias are unlocked & unfixed. from the snap it looks that few traces are semifixed. If it didn't work you will have DRC violations. You have to switch off DRC & do it, later clear the DRC.

Thanks,

Siddu

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to use Edit>Circuit Move &Copy?
              xiangqiong.wang

Thank you for your detailed explanation.This method is useful now,but i still want to know when we can use the grid setttings.

• 4. Re: How to use Edit>Circuit Move &Copy?
                matthias.cosaert

You should set your own origin before moving/copying, otherwise it will calculate some average X/Y value of selected objects which is almost always off grid.

After selecting the items in 'circuit move & copy' mode:

- Right click -> set origin

- Select origin

- if you want to set origin somewhere else then on a selected object -> Right click again to disabe 'restrict to selected items'

can then set to f.e. the board origin so you can move it according to grid set.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How to use Edit>Circuit Move &Copy?
                  xiangqiong.wang

Thank you for the reply from matthias.cosaert.

According to matthias.cosaert's idea,I update the working method of using Edit>Circuit Move &Copy.

Step1:Edit>Circuit Move & Copy

Step2:In the popped Selection Filter Window, Mark Parts, Test points and Traces.

Step3:3.1Select the components and traces which I want to move.

3.2Click the right mouse button in the selected items,then select Set Origin from the popup menu that displays and set the origin as same location  as the origin of the board.

3.3Set the Custom Grid 6mm.

Step4:Move the selection, then I find I can move accurate 6mm.

• 6. Re: How to use Edit>Circuit Move &Copy?
                    Jack

Thanks for teaching me about this, I haven't been using the power of this feature.

but I am having trouble with the "Custom Grid" setting.

I want to move a circuit 49th, my database units are set to "th", but when I edit the Custom Grid box in the "Circuit Move and Copy" toolbar, it says "Invalid Grid Step". It defaults to "Custom Grid 250 (th)".

I searched all the documentation PDF files I have for the phrase "Invalid Grid Step", no results. Does anyone know what setting I have wrong?

• 7. Re: How to use Edit>Circuit Move &Copy?
                      xiangqiong.wang

Hi Jack:

You can reference the attached picture.Hope it'll help you!