4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2013 2:02 PM by kirbstone

Where to put the Cost data (Sym Attribute or Bom)

kirbstone

Hi Again,

We are having a discussion on putting a cost field as an attribute on our symbols, but a few questions have come up. First should the cost field be visible to the engineers in databook and on the schematic? That could cause issues between different vendors if the engineer shows the price from vendor "A" to vendor "B, C, or D". Second the price can change often so how do we keep the cost field up to date? Third can the cost field get added to the bom but not the schematic and can it be used as reference only?

I'm interested in knowing if others are using a Cost field?

Thanks for your answers

Kirby

• 1. Re: Where to put the Cost data (Sym Attribute or Bom)
          robert_davies

Personally I wouldn't put cost on the symbol, simply because the data changes too often. It is more usual to put this in DxDataBook as a reference property, one that doesn't get passed to the symbols (annotated). The disadvantage is that you cannot get this information in the BOM generated from DxDesigner or Expedition, but this information is likely to be inaccurate anyway if annotated to the schematics. Most users leave it to the MRP or production systems to generate this data with accurate information at the time of purchase.

• 2. Re: Where to put the Cost data (Sym Attribute or Bom)
            kirbstone

Hi Robert,

I created a cost field in DxDataBook which we will use for reference only. If the engineers wanted to get a very rough cost, could they annotate the cost field to the schematic and get it to show up in a bom? If the engineers know ahead of time that the cost field in DataBook is for reference only, by annotating it to the schematic this data could be used as a very, very, rough idea on cost of components per board. Is this possible to do?

• 3. Re: Where to put the Cost data (Sym Attribute or Bom)
              Gary_Lameris

I agree with Robert in that I don't use the schematic as a cost reference point because it is never ever correct.  Price breaks, units to build, are not managed through the engineering schematic system and are well managed by quoting and purchasing tools.

However, you can annotate the cost from DxDatabook to the schematic and keep it invisible to generate a BOM with the database cost price.  Do not set your .dbc file to compare to cost, and then if your database is up to date you can perform a hierarchical verification to update unit prices for each component.

I know of no reason to add the property to the symbol, if anywhere, it would be in the DxDatabook property database and annotated invisibly to the components on the design.

• 4. Re: Where to put the Cost data (Sym Attribute or Bom)
                kirbstone

Hi Gary,

What do you mean by "Do not set your .dbc field to compare to cost"? I'm looking at my .dbc and I do not see a compare to cost option. My cost field in Access is a number field should I change it to a currency field? I would like to be able to annotate the cost from DxDatabook to the schematic and keep it invisible so I can generate a BOM with the database cost price. I know it is not going to be an accurate cost but it will be a very rough ballpark figure going forward.

Regards

Kirby