4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2013 7:46 AM by alex.ballantyne

Error 5834 and 5736 from PCB interface when assigning reference designators

alex.ballantyne

Hello,

I'm hoping someone has seen this issue before....

I've picked up a design to make some changes for a new revision of the board.

I've made my changes and I now need to run the PCB interface to set the reference designators for the components I''ve added.

The board runs through my verify checks and DxDiagnostics runs error-free.

However, the PCB interface fails with the following message:

pcb: Note 5996: Using Config File C:\MentorGraphics\7.9.5IND\SDD_HOME\standard\pads95.cfg

pcb: Warning 5720: Check Top_Block_Level.err for VIEWBASE messages

pcb: Error 5834: Instance $3I53 on Schematic P_TRIB_CIRCUITS does not exist. Check uid string $3I211\$7I9\$3I53 - Top_Block_Level. There may be a name clash between the schematic in which this instance occurs, and another schematic of the same name in your library search order.

pcb: Error 5736: Could not find object $3I211\$7I9\$3I53 of type FUNC on schematic Top_Block_Level

pcb: Note 5626: Summary of Log Files/pcb.err

Status 1, Notes 1, Warnings 1

Errors 2, Failures 0, Fatals 0, Internals 0

I've searched for $3I211\$7I9\$3I53 and sure enough, it doesn't seem to be present in the design.

So, my question is: why is DxD looking for this comonent and what can I do about it!

Thanks,

Alex.

• 1. Re: Error 5834 and 5736 from PCB interface when assigning reference designators
          alex.ballantyne

One further point that may be relevant.

Towards the end of work on the previous revision, the schematic was back-annotated with reference designators set by the layout tool to give the components numbers related to their locations on the board.

I'm not trying to back-annotate now, but these errors seem to be related to the back annotation process. There are several components that have been deleted in the new revision so this error may refer to one of those.

• 2. Re: Error 5834 and 5736 from PCB interface when assigning reference designators
            alex.ballantyne

I have now found Technote MG245885 which is relates to these error messages.

The Technote states:

Usually this problem occurs when the Block and the underlying schematic share the same name.

We have also found cases where this is not the case

It then goes on to explain how to change sheet and block names.

I don't seem to have that issue (the blocks all have $xIy style names while the sheets have human readable names describing their content) and the technote doesn't offer any guidance on what to do if the names are different but you still get these errors.

I've tried supressing the errors in the advanced tab od the PCB interface but the assignment of references doesn't happen so I'm still stuck.

Alex.

• 3. Re: Error 5834 and 5736 from PCB interface when assigning reference designators
              alex.ballantyne

OK, this is very odd.

If I do File/Export/Cadence Allegro I get a netlist that corresponds to the schematic I have on the screen.

If I use the PCB interface (Generic Netlist configuration) a netlist is produced but it has devices that have been deleted from the schematic and the reference designators are the "old" ones from the previous revision before it was re-referenced by back-annotation from the schematic. The new devices don't get referenced either.

Where does this "stale" information come from?

• 4. Re: Error 5834 and 5736 from PCB interface when assigning reference designators
                alex.ballantyne

OK, I think I've found it.

As part of a work-around in the previous revision, the design was itself added to the libraies in Setup/Projects/Symbol Libraries as instructed.

This provides an absolute link to the old revision which didn't update when the design was copied to a new location to do the work for the new revision.

I have removed the old library reference and added the new design in the same way.

This has cured the problem.

I hope someone finds this useful......

Alex.