10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2016 7:13 AM by stefan.st

Problem with importing pins from CSV file.

myuksel1

Hi there,

I am having trouble getting the "File -> Import Pins" operation to work in the DxDesigner 9.3.1 Symbol Editor.

I have created a CSV file, attached, but when I do the  "File -> Import Pins" operation I don't see the pins in the Pins Window.

I also get this error message in the console

"line 1: column Pin Order not found"

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Problem with importing pins from CSV file.
          MENTOR_Shannonk

TechNote mg544445 covers this issue.

• 2. Re: Problem with importing pins from CSV file.
            Gary_Lameris

First, make sure the delimiter is set to a comma, in at least one release the delimiter was not a comma.  From NSE File> Preferences> import/Export CSV

Second, there are spaces in some of the fields causing import to fail.  Simply perform a file search/replace on space.

Third, the side is incorrectly specified.  I have attached an Excel template I use to assist in getting things right the first time that automatically defines the side based on the pin order.

Fourth, there are some duplicated pin names.  Each pin name must be unique for DxDesigner, GND1, GND2, GND3 etc.

Directions for the Excel Pin Creator Template

1.  Fill in the table on the left to build a rectangular schematic symbol.

a.  Pin Order: L=left side, R=right side, T=top, B=bottom.  Example: L1

b.  Pin Label: Start with letter.  Combo of letters and numbers.  No spaces.  Example:  CLK1

To invert a label, use ~ as a prefix. 

c.  Pin Number: Positive integer.  Example: 3

d.  Pin Type: Use the drop down list to select the valid values. IN, OUT, BI (bi-directional), ANALOG, TRI (tri-state), POWER, GROUND.  OCL (open collector logic) and OEM (output emitter) are less common values.  Example:  BI

e.  Side: Should be automatically calculated based on the Pin Order (#2 above).  2=left side, 3=right side, 0=top, 1=bottom.  Example: If Pin Order column is L1, Side column is 2. =LOOKUP(A2,{"B","L","R","T"},{1,2,3,0})

f.  Inverted (optional): TRUE, FALSE.  Typical pin is FALSE.  Adds an inversion bubble to the symbol pin if TRUE

2.  Save the Required Field Template worksheet as a .csv file to read into the Designer Schematic "Build Symbol from Pin List" command.

See the example in the next sheet of this file.  Add more lines to the table if needed.  Lines added in shaded area will maintain the same formatting (drop-down lists) where provided.  Delete any unused rows and cells that contain undesired text or formatting before saving in .csv format.

This text box is not exported with the .csv format, so you don't have to delete it.

• 3. Re: Problem with importing pins from CSV file.
              myuksel1

Thank You Gary!

This configurator should be distributed to everyone!

Karl

• 4. Re: Problem with importing pins from CSV file.
                helgavi

Hello Gary

Followed instructions and get the same result  - nothing happens in symbol editor beside the line in console

" nse::loadportlist -excel_csv \\\\eis\\h\\USERS\\EE\\work\\projects\\DISPLAY\\docs\\wifi\\TI\\cc3100\\CC3100MODULE_IO.csv"

Attached CSV I generated according to instructions

the only differece is I did not use the command "Build symbol from.." but import pins using the menu in symbol editor

Any idea whats wrong?

Thanks

Haim

• 5. Re: Problem with importing pins from CSV file.
                  michele.rapp

in the symbol editor, make sure your delimiter is set to what you use in the csv file, e.g., if the file is using a comma, pull down > File > Preferences and go to the Import/Export CSV form - make sure the delimiter is set to the comma.

• 6. Re: Problem with importing pins from CSV file.
                    helgavi

Hello Michele

Checked and it is a comma

Get this messege

nse::newsymbol -createfrompinslist \\\\eis\\h\\USERS\\EE\\work\\projects\\DISPLAY\\docs\\wifi\\TI\\cc3100\\CC3100MODULE_IO.csv CC3100MODULE_IO.1

but nothing happens on symbol editor

Any idea?

Thanks

Haim

• 7. Re: Problem with importing pins from CSV file.
                      michele.rapp

Try opening an existing symbol and do the File > Export Pins.  This is what I had to do to get a file that the tool would use.  I work the symbol data in another Excel file so the info is in separate columns so I can sort, etc.  Then I copy my data to a text file and use it to replace the default delimiter (tab) with a semi-colon (which is what I use)  I then copy that edited data to the file that was created by the File > Export Pins.    Kind of clunky, but it was the only way I could get it to work.

Michele

• 8. Re: Problem with importing pins from CSV file.
                        danilborchevkin

I have some problem.

This problem fix if used delimeter in document be a comma ",". On default csv files generates with delimeter ";" and we have probles during export pin files

• 9. Re: Problem with importing pins from CSV file.
                          Gary_Lameris

In at least one release, the delimiter was set to a semi colon incorrectly.  The delimiter can be changed by going to the NSE menu From NSE

File> Preferences> import/Export CSV

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Problem with importing pins from CSV file.
                            stefan.st

Can I add for example the "Pin name Description" property to the .csv file?