9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2013 6:44 AM by robert_davies

Border Revision Property

volain

I'm using DxD in PADS 9.,2.  I've created a border, and want to have a Revision property on the sheet, but there is no defined property that I can use.

I've looked at the included border from the COMMON folder, csheet.1, in Symbol Editor, and it's got 4 Pcb Properties: @DATETIME, @NAME, @SHEET and @SHEETTOTAL. No revision.  BUT, in the lower right corner of the sheet, inside the block with "REV", there's a number "0".  And if I click on this "0", I see under Properties on the left that it has the property "REVISION". Huh?

How can I add this REVISION property to MY border, which appears to not actually be an available property.

I've seen some mention of a magical "prp" file, but I'm not quite sure if that's what I need to play with.

• 1. Re: Border Revision Property
          robert_davies

You need to create a prp file to use in your organisation.  The file is delivered in the install in the standard folder. Copy it to a central location and point your projects at it from setup settings.  Tools Property Definition Editor is how you edit it and add properties.  If you don't take a copy then you will edit the one in standard and it will be over written if you install a new version of the software.  Once you've added the properties you require you will be able to add them to the sheet border.

Sent from Samsung mobile

• 2. Re: Border Revision Property
            volain

Ok, everything seems to work.  Except now I don't know how to actually add the property to the sheet.  I've got the property listed under the Properties window on the left but, how do I get that onto the sheet? (I'm sure I'm missing something obvious).

• 3. Re: Border Revision Property
              robert_davies

Edit the border symbol in the symbol editor and add the propery there. Then update the symbol in your design to update the existing symbol a convert the non-common property to the newly promoted common property. Apply the value to this revision property through settings - borders snd zones - border properties dialog.

Sent from Samsung mobile

• 4. Re: Border Revision Property
                volain

Ok, got it working.  I didn't realize that when I entered a value ("A") for the property (REVISION), a teeny, tiny letter appears in the upper left corner of the screen.  If I hadn't have zoomed out, I never would have seen it. I thought it was dust on my monitor.

It basically worked, but I couldn't save the border, which brings up another issue.  Is there any way to invoke the Symbol Editor from inside DxD without having to either "pretend" to create a new part or edit an existing one?  I opened a project, selected a part to edit to get the Symbol Editor open, and then opened the border I wanted to edit.  After I made my changes I tried to save it but got the error message: "cannot save symbol csheet.1 because the bitmap file....is locked by another user".  There IS a bitmap (logo) embedded in the sheet, but it's not opened anywhere else.  My way around this problem was to invoke nse.exe as a standalone, but it took a while just FINDING that file.

• 5. Re: Border Revision Property
                  jduquette

Robert, this is very good information.  Is this documented somewhere?

• 6. Re: Border Revision Property
                    MENTOR_Shannonk

jduquette - it is documented in manuals and in TechNotes but I find TechNote mg566496 DxTopics: Properties to be the best starting point. It has tons of info you need to know about properties. There are links to common TechNotes (many with short how-to videos), links to documentation and overviews of many of the concepts of properties.

• 7. Re: Border Revision Property
                      MENTOR_Shannonk

The message that the bitmap is open will happen if you have an open schematic with the same border symbol on it. Close the project or at least all the sheets of the project and then try to save the sheet border symbol.

Running the nse stand-alone isn't a good practice, mainly because the prp file (that your project or CentLib is using) isn't read in so you don't have all the properties you expect.

• 8. Re: Border Revision Property
                        volain

Ok, so this sounds like a Catch-22.  I can't open Symbol Editor standalone, I have to open it from within a project.  So, I want to edit the border, I click on the border, Edit Library Symbol and, VOILA, I can't save the border because I had to open the schematic with the border in order to invoke Symbol Editor!  What do you suggest? Why doesn't this problem exist for other symbols, just borders?

• 9. Re: Border Revision Property
                          robert_davies

Just have the project open, no schematics. Open DxDatabook - symbol view and select the borders partition and the symbol, right mouse context menu - edit library symbol.

Sent from Samsung mobile