1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 17, 2013 3:50 PM by David Ricketts

How to handle drill layer in PADS when importing from DXF

conrad

Hi firstly I'm new here but I did search before I posted this.

I have a number of DXF's that I wish to produce CAM data from for a PCB house. I am familiar with gerbers and what PCB houses require and have produced some gerbers for manufacture using PADS in the past. What I am unsure of is how best to handle drill layers when imported from DXF's. The PCBs that I need to work with are high power RF amplifiers and are very simple copper areas on 2 layer boards. There is extensive via stitching on these PCBs. The size and position of the vias are on a layer called holes, drills or similar depending on the design. How can I best handle such info in PADS layout? I want to produce drill files.

This is what the input section of one of these PCBs looks like in PADS layout after import.

Input  board PADS.png

Very simple, what is the best way of handling this type of import in order to produce the necessary art work?

Regards

Conrad

• 1. Re: How to handle drill layer in PADS when importing from DXF
          David Ricketts

You need a drill tape more than the drill layer, and the only way to do that is to add parts or vias. This will get you the drill layer too.

If you can, align the dxf files so the holes are on a grid to make this easy on yourself.

Create a single pin part or two with the right sized holes, and just place them where they belong.

You can add vias too, but I think you need to have at least one net for that to work. Adding vias is easier than adding parts if it's setup right.

If there isn't a uniform grid, and exact hole placement is critical, you need to select the circles from DXF, find the coordinates from the property menu, and place the part accordingly.

Have fun.