8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2013 6:22 PM by yu.yanfeng

Capacity Is the Top Issue

yu.yanfeng

As boards get more and more complex and big, current 32 bitApplication have reached the limit. To support validation of comlex and big board, it's must to make Valor NPI be native 64bit application. I have posted the idea moths ago and hop all of you votes on my idea to push Mentor go forward. At this moment, We also begin to consider develop our own soultion to address capacity issue.

yanfeng

• 1. Re: Capacity Is the Top Issue
          max_clark

Yanfeng,

Valor NPI version 9.4 will support both 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems.  This provides many advantages.

• Enlarges the available memory from 4 GB to 1024 GB.
          • Memory is available to store much more hard disk data for immediate access increasing overall performance.
          • More virtual memory can be made available, although process will be significantly slower.

Benefit: 64-bit applications enable processing larger designs with improved performance compared to 32-bit applications

I should inform you upfront that custom DFM programs will need to be complied for 64 bit support in order to work.

Version of 9.X prior to the upcoming release were 32 bit applications with extended memory enabling up to 4 GB of hardware memory to be accessed.  This would provide additional memory, but not improve the performance found by untilizing the full 64 bit processor capablity.  Version 9.4 will address both issues.

Regards,

Max

• 2. Re: Capacity Is the Top Issue
            yu.yanfeng

Max,

It's great thtat your team finally decided to make it be a native 64 bit applicatition in coming 7.9.4. I have installed Valor NPI 9.1 on Windows XP (32 bit) and set /3G in boot.ini, however I still see Valor NPI 9.1 warning memory allocation violation while application have reached  to 2G. is There something wrong in my side. We are in urgent because even some of not so complex board but with hundred thousands of copper balance shapes also have encounted memory allocaiton issues.

yanfeng

• 3. Re: Capacity Is the Top Issue
              max_clark

Yanfeng,

The Valor NPI version you want to be looking for is version 9.4, not 7.9.4.  The X.X.X version numbering is used by Expedition and the Expedition version you mention is actually released already.  So to be clear, there is no released version of Valor NPI running in 64 bit mode until the release of version 9.4.

You are not the first to comment on memory limitations found with Windows XP.  In fact, if you perform a Google search using "windows xp application memory limit" you will find pages and pages of complaints like this.  If you tried to review you probably could never get to the bottom of the problem.  How Windows XP in this mode determines the actual limit is not really well defined.  There have been some suggestions, but nothing confirmed that I can find from Microsoft.

Mentor has enabled the 32 bit version of Valor NPI to engage a larger memory segment that is typically reserved for 64 bit application.  While that should result in an increase of memory to 4Gigs, that does not always appear to be the case.

The good news is with version 9.4 the applicaiton will be based on 64 bits and there is nothing special Mentor needs to do to address the larger amount of memory.  I know Mentor's QA team working with Valor NPI validating that memory amounts larger than previously recorded are actually be used by the application.

All I can do is suggest that when the version is released, you immediately take advantage of the new 64 bit version.

Regards,

Max Clark

• 4. Re: Capacity Is the Top Issue
                yu.yanfeng

Max, I have intalled V9.1 on another machine with Windows XP /3GB enable, it continues to get " mat-poly-20002 memory allocaiton problem" warning and failed while the applicaiton memroy cousumpiton exceeds over 2GB limit.  Does this version is  image_file_large_address_aware or only V9.2, V9.3?.

yanfeng

• 5. Re: Capacity Is the Top Issue
                  max_clark

Yanfeng,

I see now that you are also asking our customer service staff this same question which is duplicating our efforts to answer you.

We did some checking back and it appears that this change goes back to Enteprise version 8.2.  So the version you have in 9.X should behave correctly.

Again I need to indicate that results are never as good as a true 64 bit application and that appears to be a general statement when working with Windows XP.

If you are continuing to have issues it is not going to be something we will be addressing using XP.  In fact, our upcoming 64 bit release of Valor NPI will not be supported on Windows XP 64 bit.

Microsoft has indicated Windows XP will reach end of life on April 8th, 2014.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/endofsupport.aspx

I suggest that in order to take advantage of true 64 bit support you consider how to move to a newly supported Windows OS quickly and in time for Valor NPI version 9.4.

Regards,

Max

• 6. Re: Capacity Is the Top Issue
                    yu.yanfeng

Max,

It's easy to check whether a win32 applicaiton is image_file_large_address_aware enabled by browing PE. That's why I log this question on the supportnet.

What I need to know is there a current-released-version be able to use 3G memory space. I have checked V9.1 and my conclusion is that this version isn't a image_file_large_address_aware enable program. i don't wanna waste time to install V9.2, V9.3 if it be a a image_file_large_address_aware enable program.

yanfeng

• 7. Re: Capacity Is the Top Issue
                      max_clark

Yanfeng,

Engineering is tell us that all versions since 8.2 are large address aware.

From that and from the experience you are having, I suggest that the issue is Windows XP related.

You can try one of the other versions, but I believe you are going to find the same results.  It may be worth one more try though.

May I suggest that we manage the issue using our standard support contacts going forward.  There is nothing that I can really add to communities beyond what is already present here.

The good news is the next version is truely 64 bits running under Windows 7 or 8.  Therefore I suggest that a software and possibly hardware upgrade is in order.

Regards,

Max

• 8. Re: Capacity Is the Top Issue
                        yu.yanfeng

Now I have downloaded Version 9.3 and done test on Windows Server 2012 R2. On Windows Server 2012, V9.3 be able to run big designs and can get memory space over 2GB.  I guess it asle be applicalbe on Windows 7 X 64 or Windows Sever 2008  that let Valor NPI 9.3 get memory space over 2GB.

1.jpg

yanfeng