3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2016 7:29 AM by juha.heikkila@satel.com

Exporting Attributes to Pads Layout

michael.staley

I'm using DxDesigner 2007 and PADs Layout 2007 to maintain an older design.

My goal is to get the height attributes from my schematic components (DxDesigner) -> PADs Layout (pcb file) -> export them in an ASCII file -> Import into Circuit Works for a 3D model.

All of my schematic symbols have a HEIGHT attribute.  But when I transfer them to PADs Layout using DxDesigner Link the HEIGHT attribute is getting lost (as far as I can tell).

Question 1:

When I'm in PADS Layout, I click on a component and right click -> Properties -> Attributes -> choose <all> filter and I do not see the HEIGHT (or Geometry.height) attribute.  Am I correct in assuming that the HEIGHT attribute did not get transfered?

Question 2:

Is there a way to force DxDesigner to export a attribute to PADs Layout?  I've added "CON HEIGHT" to the AttributesPassList in my cfg file and it did not seem to do anything.

Question 3:

Does anyone know the syntax for the ascii file (.asc) and specificly the height attribute in the ascii file?

Question 4:

Is this problem a result of not having a library of parts (with heights) and instead just having schematic symbols and decals?

Mike

• 1. Re: Exporting Attributes to Pads Layout
          jduquette

In Layout I use the geometry.height attribute set to pass info to SolidWorks.  Hopefully someone else can tell you how to get it out of DxD.  I use Logic, and in Logic it is the geometry.height attribute that transfers directly back and forth.

Here is a 2007 ASCII export of a component:

============================

PARTTYPE CAP_10UF

{

Geometry.Height 3150000dbunit

Label

"Part Number" xxxx

Value 10uF

}

============================

Geometry.height = 2.1mm in the design.

One thing to check in Layout is that the geometry.height attribute is in the libraries.  <File><Library...>(Attr Manager...); it should show up on the list on the left.  If not you probably need to add it before trying to import from DxD.

• 2. Re: Exporting Attributes to Pads Layout
            amaddox

I'm seeing this same issue in xDX Designer to PADS VX.

• 3. Re: Exporting Attributes to Pads Layout
              juha.heikkila@satel.com

PADS is strange behaving setting attributes to a levels or hierarchy. When attribute is in level "Part Type" you find the Height attribute in a Part Type field in Ascii which can be found like above is written:

PARTTYPE CAP_10UF

{

Geometry.Height 3150000dbunit

Label

"Part Number" xxxx

Value 10uF

}

If attribute is in level "Component", height is printed elsewhere in asci file. The problem is where your software (propably Circuit Works) tries to find it. If your attribute level is wrong level Circuit work Ascii translator does not find it.

As far as I know, it is impossible to fix attribute levels if it is wrong. And I dont even know how to set attribute levels, they just appear there.

Second weird thing is the unit "dbunit"????, what the heck is dbunit?