5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2014 7:16 AM by thomas.te.ebert

transfering direction (pin type) to DxDesigner Symbols

thomas.te.ebert

I would like to know if it's possible to get the value of the DIR attribute to the generated DxDesigner symbols?

It would be extremly useful for board designers to get the values (IN,OUT, BI) for the signals visible on the symbol pins.

Actually I got just 'BiDirectional' as value for the 'Direction'-attribute. And it does not really matter on which kind of signal type.

• 1. Re: transfering direction (pin type) to DxDesigner Symbols
          terry_penn

Hi Thomas,

You need to enable the 'Show port type' in Settings->PortTypes. You will see that the direction is set/visible on the functional symbols, but the pcb symbols are created in IOD with no direction on the pins. This 'no direction' exports to DxDesigner as bi-directional. If you want directions on the DxD pcb symbols you need to set the direction on the IOD pcb symbols before exporting by selecting the inputs on the IOD symbol, opening the properties window and setting the 'Port Type' to 'IN'. Repeat for outputs. You will see the pcb symbol update graphically when you make these changes. If you would like the pcb symbols to have their 'Port Type' set automatically at generation please can you submit it on

http://mentorideas.brightidea.com/dxdesigner

Regards

Terry

• 2. Re: transfering direction (pin type) to DxDesigner Symbols
            thomas.te.ebert

IOD-properties-window.jpg

I have a question regarding the 'Port Type'. I could see the 'Type' or the 'Dir' property. The type defines the function of the pin, like clock, diff, TTL etc. The dir will be the right one, where the In, Out, InOut could be defined. And I could not find a way to get this value mapped to the DxD property window (next picture).

DXD-properties-window.jpg

• 3. Re: transfering direction (pin type) to DxDesigner Symbols
              thomas.te.ebert

Dear Terry,

I have found your described way to add the value on the 'Port Type' to the PCB symbols of IOD. Thanks for your explanation. The reason I could not found the property is without selecting the port on the symbol the property will be not visible. That's ok now. I have added the values to the symbols.IOD-porttype_on_PCB_symbols.jpg

Do you know how to transfer this new values of the property to DxDesigner? It seems you're be an expert.

Thanks and Best Regards

Thomas

• 4. Re: transfering direction (pin type) to DxDesigner Symbols
                terry_penn

Hi Thomas,

When you have set the 'Port Type' property on the pcb symbols they should look something like this (I have 3 inputs, 3 outputs and 1 bidirectional) :

Image_06.jpg

If I am using the Schematic Update flow and export to the library the functional and pcb symbols export correctly :

Image_07.jpg

If I am using the Schematic Export flow and 'Export Schematic and Symbols' they are correct in DxDesigner (you need to ensure you have Setup->Settings->Advanced->PintypeArrows set to 'Full Size') :

Image_08.jpg

I hope that helps.

Regards

Terry

• 5. Re: transfering direction (pin type) to DxDesigner Symbols
                  thomas.te.ebert

Hi Terry,

it works now. DxDesigner is showing now the direction of the ports. Even the 'Pin Type' has got the value of the 'Port Type' of IO Designer. I'm not sure how it works, but I think on re-opening DxDesigner/IO Designer.

And, you're right, on displaying the arrows. This switch was set off.

The only difference I have to your application I generate only PCB symbols without functional symbols. But even then it works.

Many thanks for your time and help. I will write one idea for IO Designer the 'Pin/Port Type' values will be set on symbol generation within IO Designer.

Best Regards

Thomas