2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2014 11:30 AM by march1

Client loses ability to connect to license server

march1

Hello,

The last couple of day's my 2nd shift users have been experiencing issues with their ability to connect to my FLEXLM license server.  1st shift users have not been having issues.  We use the license server to manage Vplan, Vdoc and CAMCAD licenses.  Today I had a user do the following steps:

Vplan open

Openned Doc Viewer

Closed Doc Viewer

Tried to open Doc Viewer and got "No license was found for feature vplandocviewer ...."

Then Vplan stopped working because of invalid License.

I tried to open Doc Viewer and received "all licenses used" message.

Checked license server and it listed the user with the issue as having a Doc Viewer license checked out.  Also all Doc Viewer licenses were checked out, which is normal (50 of 50 being used).  About 10 minutes after he checked out his Doc Viewer license, it checked in automatically and other users were able to check out the license.  He was still not able to see the license server from his computer.

I had him verify that Vdoc.exe was not running in task manager.

He was only able to reconnect to the license server to open vplan or doc viewer after re-booting his computer.

This type of problem has occured with other users over the last couple of days.

Is there a client based process or service that needs to be restarted if a client is having license issues?

Is there other things I can look for?

Marc Hrossowyc

Qualcomm Technologies, Inc

• 1. Re: Client loses ability to connect to license server
          guy_wettstein

Marc,

There isn't a separate Mentor licensing process on Windows. If the application and it's child processes exit properly, the license should be checked in. However, a spotty network connection could interferre with the client/server communication during the exit process. Is this client connecting to the license server through VPN? It sounds like the server is returning the license to the pool after a timeout period of not hearing from the client.

The fact that the license is returned via a reboot of the client tells me two things: all application processes are exited and the socket to the license server is cleared.

It really sounds like there is a networking issue when freeing the license and/or trying to reconnect to the server. This is probably something you should open a Service Request for if this advice doesn't help find the cause.

Best Regards,

Guy

• 2. Re: Client loses ability to connect to license server
            march1

Thanks, I was thinking it was more of a network issue.  It has not occured again this week so I will need to continue to monitor.

Marc Hrossowyc

Qualcomm Technologies, Inc