2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 3:39 AM by n.beimler

Symbol Partition

n.beimler

Hi,

we use DxDesigner together with PADS 9.5.

Component values are obtained via MSSQL.

Somehow Symbol Libraries in DxDesigner need a "Partition".

I have a Project with Symbols belonging to various Partitions.

Is there a way to change Partition of Components that are already placed in the Schematic?

I'd like to them to have equal values for "Partition".

Is there any weird side effect of having Symbols from various Partitions in a Schematic?

What is the Partition good for at all?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Symbol Partition
          robert_davies

Hmm! Lots of questions in this thread, so to answer some of them, in the best order to describe what/where and why.

Q. What is the Partition good for at all?

A. In the PADS flow you don't have an application that manages your symbols/parts in a formal library like you do in the Expedition flow, so partitions are just references to the folder names where you store different symbols/parts. Generally it is good practice to group parts into similar folders, all capacitors together for example, so you create a symbol folder in the file system called Capacitors - then DxDesigner uses the parent folder as its 'Partition'. This makes searching for parts a little easier if you don't use a database such as Access or SQL, you know where to look for particular parts based on type. If you have a database that gives you the serach capabilities required via DxDatabook then grouping by partition is less importatnt.

Q. Is there any weird side effect of having Symbols from various Partitions in a Schematic?

A. No, it is a reference back to the library folder but the symbol is stored in the database once it is instantiated, so if the library isn't available the symbols don't disappear from the design.

Q. Is there a way to change Partition of Components that are already placed in the Schematic?

A. No not easily, and moving symbols around in your library means that the 'Flag out-of-date' symbols may not work if the symbol definition is changed and the symbol is in a different partition. DxDesigner does a check on the symbol timestamp between the library version and the database version, if the symbol doesn't exist where DxDesigner thinks it should then you won't be notified of any changes. This may not be a problem if your parts are stable.

Q. I'd like to them to have equal values for "Partition".

A. Any particular reason?

• 2. Re: Symbol Partition
            n.beimler

Hi Robert,

thank you very much for explanation.

This answers all my questions.

Best Regards.