2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2014 1:36 PM by rholt

How do you add custom Package types and Lead forms for use in the Component Classification dialog?

rholt

The default lists provided for Component Classification by Package type and Lead form type is limiting and does not cover all possibilities. I would like to add some additional options so I can provide a more thorough check to make sure my footprints meets the IPC-7351 spec. For example, the component spacing and toe/heel/side fillets for an 0402 discrete are much different than a 1206 discrete. I would like to create a component type CHIP-SMALL with a lead form C-BEND-WRAP-SMALL. I understand I will have to create additional ERF rules to support these but I cannot find any info on how to add your own; only component type documentation shows up, not package type or lead form type. If I manually add the new type uinder the CLASS-1 cell of the ERF manager it does not recognize it and will not show it as an available option for other rule sets.

• 1. Re: How do you add custom Package types and Lead forms for use in the Component Classification dialog?
          max_clark

Rholt,

When the attributes for lead forms and package types were created they were done so using a text attribute with options.  This means that application is delivered with a fixed set of options, but the user can enter any value of text.  It happens to be that both lists were created by considering the IPC specification, that is why most of what you would like is already present.  To added the additional two, simply enter them a text and they will be accepted.  This is also true in the component assignment screen as well.

If you prefer a more detailed solution, then the application has the ability to use user defined attributes in the replacement of these two attributes.  You would need to change the values of two configuraiton parameters, package_type_attr and lead_form_attr, to contain the user attribute instead.  Next, you will need to alter the ERF models to indicate the user instead of the system attribute.  This is done with ERF variable v_sub_cat_default within the appropriate analysis.  You will of course have to create the user attributes first.

If you require more assistance, it may be best if you contact our customer service for additional aid.

Hope this information was helpful.

Regards,

Max

• 2. Re: How do you add custom Package types and Lead forms for use in the Component Classification dialog?
            rholt

Thanks Max for the quick feedback.

I manually added some lead form types with supporting ERF rules and they showed up in the analysis results. Yippie!

I would like to see this improved so users can taylor the tool without having to get so extreme with customized list that are user dependent. I'll have to move that discussion to the Idea site......

Thanks again!