12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2008 11:49 PM by emiliansg

Width and spacing list in mipt files

emiliansg

Hello,

I try to move to mipt files for xRC deck generation. First I've made the deck using tm file and the deck was calibrated successfully. Then I've created a mipt file and loaded it into the interactive environment which converted it into tm file. Everything looks the same instead of the width and spacing lists for the metal layers. In the mipt file, I can enter only the min and max values and no values in between.  I've started calibration of the tm file obtained after mipt2tm convertion and the calibration was terminated during step execute models with the following error:

+Warning! Exec failed $MGC_HOME/pkgs/icxc/pvt/mc2  fs_12.mc2 >> /dev/null+ 
      +Reloading master Job list retry #10...+ 
      +jobs to execute: 1+ 
      +exec: $MGC_HOME/pkgs/icxc/pvt/mc2  fs_12.mc2  start time: Mon Oct 27 11:52:58 2008+
      +exec time: 1+ 
      +Warning! Exec failed $MGC_HOME/pkgs/icxc/pvt/mc2  fs_12.mc2 >> /dev/null+ 
      +Error! Some field solver jobs did not complete - fix input errors or increase number of retries+
      +Error! Fatal xCalibrate error; exiting...+
      +Error! Some field solver jobs did not complete - fix input errors or increase number of retries+
      +Error! Fatal xCalibrate error; exiting...+
      +Error! xCalibrate premature capacitance calibration termination due to fatal error+
      +/afs/btv/data/rfdkps/cad_tools/mentor/Calibre/2007/.4_30.24-rs_aix53/pkgs/icxc/bin/xcalibrate_flow.tcl: problem in exec'ing ./runfile masterExecModel (CHILDSTATUS 274598 1)+ 

Could it be due to the missing calibration steps for width and spacing? How xcalibrate calculates the models when there is no list for width and spacing and only their min and max values are in the tm file? As we know, it is very important to have a few steps for the min width and spacing which are with most signifficant parasitic capacitance and they are the most cases in a layout. Is it possible to enter steps in mipt files? I have indie tables for all metal layers but I think xcalibrate creates the models based on the values for width and spacing in the tm file.

I use version 2007.4.

Thank you in advance!

Emilian

• 1. Re: Width and spacing list in mipt files
          emiliansg

I've added in the converted (from mipt file) tm file a few points per  width and a list with min-step-max spacing for all metal layers and the calibration passed successfully the step Execute models. So, may be the reason for calibration error termination is really the missing steps for width and spacing. Do you have an idea how to overcome this issue and use only mipt files without modifying the converted from mipt tm file?

Thanks,

Emilian.

• 2. Re: Width and spacing list in mipt files
            ann_lanfri

Emilian, we automatically calculate the intermediate spacings and width points from the min/max.  In fact in later releases, you only enter the minimum value and the intermediate and maximum points are calculated automatically.  So there is no way to enter intermediate points in the .mipt file.

I'm a little puzzled about the process you followed because when I try to recreate what you did, I end up with a .tm file that's for the newer Single/MultiCorner flow rather than the "classic" flow I see in your posting.  Have you tried opening a ticket with support net?

--Ann

• 3. Re: Width and spacing list in mipt files
              emiliansg

Thank you  Ann!

I've forgotten to say that I set the field solver to MC2D in the converted from mipt tm file, because the default is MCS2D after loading the mipt into GUI.

I've removed the max spacing from mipt file and the converted tm file was successfully calibrated.

Do you think the calibration will be more accurate if the user set more intermediate points for width and spacing? May be the improvement is not so much and you advise for the default values, allowing to set only the min values in the mipt files?

What will be the accuracy if the layout width and spacing is much above the default max values for wich the models calibrate?

Thanks,

Emilian.

• 4. Re: Width and spacing list in mipt files
                ann_lanfri

Emilian, it's possible you might be slightly better accuracy by setting the width and spacing ranges.  It's more likely you'll get worse accuracy because you don't know the details of how the widths and spacings are used.  And it's difficult to accomplish this starting with the .mipt file.  

The default max values should be sufficient to get good accuracy - we have made continual improvements in how we do this in later releases.  If you open a ticket with the supportnet, they can look at your specific values and make recommendations.  --Ann

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Width and spacing list in mipt files
                  emiliansg

Thank you Ann!

The most cases in a layout are for min and close to min layer width. Calibre default calibration points are min and 4xmin width and I think it's enough and the time for calibration is quite shorter than if I set a few intermediate points. Calibre default calibration points for spacing are min and 5um and a few intermediate points. This is also acceptable in accuracy vs calibration time.

Regards,

Emilian.

• 6. Re: Width and spacing list in mipt files
                    emiliansg

Hi,

I try to open in Calibre 2008.4 interactive a mipt file written for Calibre  2007.4. I have the following warnings:

// Warning: layer M1 contains insufficient spacing datapoints for Calibration (1 < 5).

Anyway, the mipt file is converted into tm file and when I click on setup widths, I can see there only the min width value which is set in the mipt file.  If I load the same mipt file in Calibre 2007.4, the setup widths list contains not only the min width, but the doubled one also.

Ann, you've said that the user doesn't need to define more calibration points and the min values are enough to be defined and the model generator will make the best. Then, why this warning appears when loading a mipt file into Calibre interactive?

If I run xcalibrate 2008.4 directly on the mipt file, the first messages show that the mipt file is converted into tm file successfully and no warnings appeared.

Thanks,

Emilian.

• 7. Re: Width and spacing list in mipt files
                      karen_chow

Hi Emilian. The xCalibrate GUI isn't really supported anymore. You should only be running the MIPT through the batch flow by using:

xcalibrate -exec techfile.mipt

But you should check your MIPT file first by running both the logic checker and the stack viewer.

xcalibrate -check techfile.mipt

xcalibrate -view techfile.mipt

Karen

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Width and spacing list in mipt files
                        emiliansg

Thank you Karen!

I prefer to work with mipt files and their viewer is quite good including the most important info.

I create different profiles in the mipt file copying all the info for metal and dielectric layers to the profiles where they are included. Is it possible to shorten the mipt files? A layer is once defined in a given profile. Is it possible to write only it's name in the next profile where it is included and not writing (copying) the whole data for it again?

Thanks,

Emilian.

• 9. Re: Width and spacing list in mipt files
                          karen_chow

Hi Emilian. I'm not quite sure. I've only done one calibration. I used the keyword diffusion. And when I did that, it automatically created the field, active and sdcont profile for me.

For example, if I load up my MIPT file in the viewer, in the notes pane, it says creating profile "field" and "active" and "sdcont" from my one MIPT file that uses the keyword diffusion. For example:

type = diffusion

name = diff

thickness = 0.18

min_width = 0.12

min_spacing = 0.15

src_drn = ( nsd psd )

I didn't have to repeat my definitions for each profile. Hope this helps!

Karen

• 10. Re: Width and spacing list in mipt files
                            emiliansg

Thank you Karen!

You've told me that the GUI using tm files is not really supported any more. Do you plan to move to mipt files only?

If yes, is there a tool to convert tm files into mipt ones?

Thanks,

Emilian.

• 11. Re: Width and spacing list in mipt files
                              karen_chow

Hello Emilian!

There is a converter that you can find in the Calibre tree:

$MGC_HOME/pkgs/icxc/unrlsd/tm2mipt.sh

Like with all converters, you should always check the output file and make sure that it's right. I find that most converters do about 80% of the job well, but it's that last 20% that gets you.

Karen

• 12. Re: Width and spacing list in mipt files
                                emiliansg

Thank you very much Karen!