5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2014 4:37 PM by marben.orallo

4 vertex polygon check .

marben.orallo

Hi All,

I am new in this forum, and I am very interested to learn how to make drc rule file.

I would like to ask, how to make a drc rule file to check all 4 vertex polygon in my

virtuoso layout ?

Also please suggest me some good materials to learn how to make drc rule file .

I am using calibre v2011.3

Best regards,

Marben F. Orallo

• 1. Re: 4 vertex polygon check .
          samantha_lizak

Hi Marben, and welcome to the community.

Creating a DRC rule file from scratch is going to take some programming in an ascii editor, to the best of my knowledge.  You'll be learning a new language, SVRF.  The best way to learn a language is take a class -- here are the ones for Calibre nmDRC:

http://www.mentor.com/training/courses/calibre-fundamentals-writing-drclvs-rules?

More commonly, people start with an existing rule file, use the SVRF manual (available in the documentation directory - look for svrf_ur.pdf) to understand the existing file's contents, and then make slight modifications.  The modifications can be done by editing the file or by using Calibre Interactive.  I think Calibre Interactive is still separately licensed, so you may or may not have access to it.  If you are writing the rule files for lots of other people to use, training is still a better idea than being self-taught as the instructor can help you write rules optimized for your situation. There can be a difference of up to 40% in different ways of reaching the same goal.

The SVRF manual does have some example rule files -- look for the "Rule File Examples" chapter towards the back of the book.  You should be able to just copy and paste those into a file of your own.

If you need help running Calibre from Virtuoso, your best starting point in the Calibre docs is the Calibre Interactive manual.  There's a chapter currently called "Interfacing with Layout and Schematic Viewers" that I think was called something else in earlier releases. Better still, your CAD team may have something specific to your installation -- there's a lot of customization possible.

Hope that helps-

Sam.

• 2. Re: 4 vertex polygon check .
            marben.orallo

Hi Sam,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

The material "svrf_ur.pdf" is very informative, and I think It will give me

a good start on how to make my own drc rule file.

Best regards,

Marben

• 3. Re: 4 vertex polygon check .
              marben.orallo

Hi All,

I was able to find 4 vertex polygon in virtuoso layout

by using the code below .

// 4 vertex polygons checks .

M1I_4 {@ These are 4 vertex polygons for layer M1I .

VERTEX M1I ==4

}

Best regards,

Marben

• 4. Re: 4 vertex polygon check .
                chris_balcom

Hi Marben,

Calibre has some pretty cool capabilities when it comes to checking rectangles. What is it you want to do once you find 4 vertex polygons? There might be an operation that does a few things at the same time without requiring you to first identify 4 vertex polygons. Do you want something similar to making sure all your vias are square, or maybe rectangular of a certain size or within a size range? Or maybe checking to make sure that rectangles on a certain layer are enclosed in a certain way by another layer on the sides but a different way at the ends (such as metal around poly contacts)?

• 5. Re: 4 vertex polygon check .
                  marben.orallo

Hi Chris,

I use the 4 vertex polygon codes to find the hanging devices terminals in the layout .

And it is difficult for me to find devices terminals in the layout, that is not yer wired,

specially if flightlines is not available.  By finding all the rectangles in my layout, I can

make sure there are no devices terminals that are not yet wired.  As a result, my LVS

errors output will be lessen .

Best regards,

Marben