6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2014 8:04 AM by robert_davies

location maps in EE7.9.5 on Linux

stephen.whitlock1

Can old school style (BA/DA) location maps/soft prefixes that define paths to project areas be used in EE7.9.5 on Linux? I want to declare soft paths to project areas e.g. $PROJECT_X /projects/projectx $PROJECT_X_DESIGN_1 /projects/project_x/design1 etc I want to see $PROJECT_X_DESIGN_1 in the Welcome screen in Dx.

• 1. Re: location maps in EE7.9.5 on Linux
          robert_davies

Only environment variables are supported, not location maps.

• 2. Re: location maps in EE7.9.5 on Linux
            stephen.whitlock1

Ok, thanks for that, so where/how are the envs setup?

• 3. Re: location maps in EE7.9.5 on Linux
              robert_davies

See the adminstrators guide on setting 'soft paths'.

System Administration for DxDesigner

>

Preparing your Environment for Project Development

> Setting Soft Pathnames

Any variable can be quoted in settings as ${variable}

• 4. Re: location maps in EE7.9.5 on Linux
                stephen.whitlock1

Setting Soft Pathnames

You can use environment variables with soft pathnames in .prj files or DxDesigner dialog boxes

that require a pathname to a file or directory.

Assume a variable definition:

MY_DEMO=C:\Demonstrations

To use the MY_DEMO definition in the DxDesigner setup for something like the path to the

project file, the path should appear as follows:

$\Projects\DxVidar.prj

The variable starts with a “$”, followed by an open bracket “{“, then the variable name, and

terminated with the close bracket “}”.

This is vague. It doesn’t tell me what file should be edited to achieve this. If it means the projects .prj file, then it doesn’t tell me under which SECTION the declaration should be made, or what KEY should be employed.

And why isn’t the locmap.cfg file mentioned here either?

This is surprisingly vague considering there must be a lot of customers who want their old Board/Design Architect location map entry system back!

• 5. Re: location maps in EE7.9.5 on Linux
                  robert_davies

Location maps as supported by DA are not supported across the Expedition flow and neither will they be. Depending on what you want to achieve environment variables are supported, but only in a number of places in the project settings such as Central Library location, DxDatabook location etc.

From your initial question, where do you want to see $PROJECT_X_DESIGN_1 in the welcome screen? I doubt the tools support what you're asking for.

• 6. Re: location maps in EE7.9.5 on Linux
                    robert_davies

You could use a variable that would appear in the New Project dialog that would expand to the correct location, but once a project is created the expanded path is shown in the 'Recent' pane of the Start page. The variable would be declared in the DxDesigner.xml for the New Project Location setting:

<key name="NEW_PROJECT_LOCATION" value="${NewProject}\EEVX.1"/>

Here ${NewProject} points to a location on my hard drive (in this case declared as a UNC path:  NewProject=\\gbn-rdavies-w7\Projects\EEProjects

In the Create New Project pane it is shown as ${NewProject}

But in Recent Projects it gets expanded to the full path \\gbn-rdavies-w7\Projects\EEProjects\EEVX.1\Project1

But you can only have one variable working at a time as there is a single key in the DxDesigner.xml file.