14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 8:33 AM by Alex_Grange

Problem with exported part 3D

parth.sutariya

Hello All ,

Exported .emn & .emp files when viewed in ProE does not take the exact PCB Decal shape .

Part outline is a closed shape in a particular layer with no other segments in that layer.

3D files are also generated selecting the same layer in which closed part ouline is there .

Still when exported .emn & .emp files are viewed in ProE , it does not take the exact shape and is viewed as a rectangular block .

What is the reason for the same ?

Please help .

Best Regards ,

Parth Sutariya

Hardware CAD Engineer

MATRIX COMSEC

Vadodara , Gujarat

INDIA

• 1. Re: Problem with exported part 3D
          vladimir.stoyanov

Hi,

First check settings during the export (see attached "Settings.png"). Next you have to have components with .prt extension which must have the exact name of the footprints. Their location must be into the working folder of ProE. You may see the result at second attached picture "PADS_ProE.png".

Good luck!

Vladimir

• 2. Re: Problem with exported part 3D
            wolferm

Vladimir

What else is required for this IDF out to work like you show.

From what I researched PADS can only use some other 3D file and not a .prt file, we use ProE

here and I have not been able to get any kind of decent 3D output from PADS to ProE short of spednign 5K on that ECAD to MCAD Collaborator.

Where is there any instruction on how to set up this output. You say these prt file need to eb in a working ProE folder, does i have t be on the pc PADS is on,

or how do you point ot a netwlrk folder with all the ProE libraries?

Bob

• 3. Re: Problem with exported part 3D
              vladimir.stoyanov

Hi Bob,

Enclosed you may find a test case. First you need to draw a "nice looking" component with ProE. Save this component with the same name as used footprint. Place components into the PADS and generate IDF output - emn and emp files. Put IDF files and needed "nice" components in one folder. Open emn file with ProE. Try this and let me know about the result.

Kind regards,

Vladimir

• 4. Re: Problem with exported part 3D
                wolferm

Vladimir,

FInally got to try this.

Thanks for post, but no it did not work, before I posted I checked and tried your example and it came in ProE fine with parts very nice.

When I output IDF from PADS file I made I was sure I had settings all same, but when I bring mine up in ProE the .prt files are not used an dnothing shows up, only the holes in the board show up.

Which then make me ask if we set up .prt files as same set of holes then real holes will also show up properly?

If parts we made in ProE are in same folder nothing comes in, but if we remove them the box extruded from layer 25 at least comes in then.

I know we set that folder to working directory. So it should have found them

But it does not work any ideas?

Again this should work with ES Suite, v9.5

I see you have v9.5.

Thanks

Bob

• 5. Re: Problem with exported part 3D
                  wolferm

Another thought do we need the ecad module on the ProE side of things?

Or should this still work with just std ES Suite & ProE Creo.

I can attach the small example board I did if you like to maybe easier see what I am doing wrong?

• 6. Re: Problem with exported part 3D
                    wolferm

Or are there other settings on ProE Creo side that could affect it?

• 7. Re: Problem with exported part 3D
                      wolferm

One thing we do know is that ProE is showign those parts in he session, just not showing up visible when opening the emn file.

• 8. Re: Problem with exported part 3D
                        wolferm

Does your ProE Creo side have any extensions or extra modules?

Again this process does not appear to work at all, only thing I get is same as original poster, extruded boxes and thats it, no use of .prt files.

Everyone must be busy no responses.

• 9. Re: Problem with exported part 3D
                          joseph.schneider@johnsonoutdoors.com

Vladimir/Bob,

I'm trying to setup a process for sharing files between PADS 9.5 and Creo 2.0 (I'm the mechanical with 20 years of Pro/Engineer experience and zero PADS experience).  Based on your post, it seems you have had some success.  I have been able to import the .emn/.emp files from PADS, which everything comes in as 3D rectangles.

Is it possible to transfer working files back and forth or is it more an import/compare function on both ends?

Any assistance would be appreciated!

• 10. Re: Problem with exported part 3D
                            Alex_Grange

Hi Joseph,

If you want to take advantage of full collaboration of items back and forth I would suggest you use the IDX format, which is used for PADS MCAD Collaborator and PTC Creo ECAD MCAD Collaboration plug-in. This is to replace the IDF format which was developed in 1992 and was stopped being developed in 1998, therefore is an obsolete format. It contains a full data dump that typically happens at the very end or very beginning of your design flow, which will result in more re-work to match the other domains database requirements.

This process for tranfering information between ECAD and MCAD with IDX is very simple.With the IDX format you synchronize your PADS and Creo interface and then send incremental proposal files to collaborate and send information back and forth. This allows both domains be synchronized throughout the full design process. When the electrical engineer exports a change you open the collaboration file in the Validate Dialog in Creo. This will allow you to immediately validate what exactly has been changed and you can accept/reject the items, which will automatically be updated in your current assembly.

If you need any additional information, please let me know.

Alex

• 11. Re: Problem with exported part 3D
                              cathy_terwedow

To see a live demonstration of how two of Mentor's VX1.1 products, Xpedition and PADS Professional, and PTC's Creo Parametric work together to automate the ECAD/MCAD design data exchange and collaboration process, tune in to PTC's webinar on June 25. Alex will be the guest presenter!

June 25, noon ET: "Simplifying ECAD-MCAD Collaboration with Creo Parametric 3.0 and Mentor Xpedition VX1." (applies equally to PADS Professional)

• 12. Re: Problem with exported part 3D

Thank you for the information Alex!

I tried to export a .idx file and received the following error message:  “The ECAD_COLLABORATION license has not been acquired, operation aborted”

I’m assuming another Creo module is required?

I registered for the “ECAD-MCAD CoDesign Best Practices" webinar

Joseph Schneider

770.888.6292 X1044

• 13. Re: Problem with exported part 3D

Thank you for the information Cathy!

I registered for the “ECAD-MCAD CoDesign Best Practices" webinar

Joseph Schneider

770.888.6292 X1044

• 14. Re: Problem with exported part 3D
                                    Alex_Grange

Hi Joseph,

If you are using PTC Creo Parametric, you will need the Creo ECAD-MCAD Collaboration extension. This is a floating license. Depending on your configuration, if you do have the license you may need to check out the license upon invocation for PTC Creo. The local PTC sells representative can point you to the right direction if you need information on their licensing.

Alex