7 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2014 1:02 PM by volain

DRC errors in CAM, but not in Verify Design

volain

When I run Verify Design in PADS Layout 9.2, clearance and connectivity check out fine, but when I run CAM, I get errors.  I have no way of knowing WHAT those errors are; error markers are placed on the layers, but are they clearance errors? connectivity errors? And why would there be different results in CAM than in Verify Design, don't they use the same Design Rules?

• 1. Re: DRC errors in CAM, but not in Verify Design
          vladimir.stoyanov

Hi,

What you mean CAM? Is it CAM350 or anything else? Check for the rules in PADS and CAM. If possible - post here example. The other possible reason is D-codes - may you didn't regenerate them or you didn't make "Draw to Flash" in CAM product. Please for more information to be able to help you.

Kind regards,

Vladimir

• 2. Re: DRC errors in CAM, but not in Verify Design
            volain

Hi Vladimir,

CAM is CAM.  Under "File", there's "CAM", and that's where the Gerber files are generated-it's not a separate product, it's part of PADS Layout. There's not (as far as I know) a separate Design Rule definition for CAM (it wouldn't make sense, really).

• 3. Re: DRC errors in CAM, but not in Verify Design
              MENTOR_BillT

If your CAM documents include Split Planes, CAM will automatically perform a Plane Check as defined in Tools > Verify Design > Plane.  The settings for your Plane check may be incorrect.  Go to Tools > Verify Design > Plane, click Setup. Set the selection like the screenshot shown.

2014-05-15_9-56-28.png

• 4. Re: DRC errors in CAM, but not in Verify Design
                wolferm

WIthout more info it is hard to say, but the only reason I could see where you might see a difference from PADS Verify Design and running CAM is planes.

If there are planes in the design and you did not run plane check everytime you run CAM you will be asked to run pour manager and there might be errors there from Plane Check even though Clearance & Connectivity won't have any errors.

My only thought based on information given.

• 5. Re: DRC errors in CAM, but not in Verify Design
                  RLS2004

In Pads Layout, setup\LayerDefinition, for plane layers, you can assign nets to each plane. The CAM Plane check looks to see if you have nets assigned to a plane but did NOT assign ALL of them to an area on that layer. It can be some what of an elusive error.

• 6. Re: DRC errors in CAM, but not in Verify Design
                    jduquette

You didn't get burned by DRC only running on the current view and not the entire PCB did you?  make sure the entire PCB is on the screen when you run DRC.

What error message are you getting from CAM?

• 7. Re: DRC errors in CAM, but not in Verify Design
                      volain

Okay, folks, here goes.  Thanks for all the suggestions; by putting them all together in a blender, I think I've found my problem(s)

1) I have multiple planes with duplicates of some of the nets on multiple planes. So, I would end up with plane islands on one plane, but it didn't matter to me because connectivity would be made on the other plane

2) When you run the "Connectivty" check, it verifies that all signals are connected, without regard to which plane they make that connection on.  BUT, when you run the Plane check, it looks for islands and flags them as an error. (This was my main problem)

3) I have two separate planes on one layer assigned the same net.  They are joined together on a different layer.  But, when I ran the Plane test, it saw the two separate planes as an error.  The only way I can get the error to go away is by adding a "dummy" trace connecting the two planes.

Thanks to all for helping me to see the light.

Barry