6 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2014 9:28 AM by aehrmantraut

Splice Cavity Problem

aehrmantraut

We had an engineer(no longer on my happy list) modify one our common splices "No. Cavities" field from 1 to 2 and now we can no longer select it for usage.  When we try to set it back to 1 Vesys overrides it to 2.  Any ideas? We thought about exporting all of the loaded projects so there would be no project usages and obsolete/delete the part.

Any help is much appreciated.

Adam

• 1. Re: Splice Cavity Problem
          Simon

Hi Adam,

I assume this issue is happening in the Library (Vesys components)?

If so, are you trying to change the number of cavities on the 'Base' tab? I think you need to go to the Cavity Names tab and delete one of the rows from here.

I am actually using Capital rather than Vesys, but this works for me.

Regards,

Simon

• 2. Re: Splice Cavity Problem
            aehrmantraut

Simon,

Thanks for the answer

Vesys doesn't appear to have the cavities tab in the component library.  We are using a Vesys 2012.1.SP1310.24 at the moment though, maybe it got added in one of the more recent updates.  We try to only update between large design pushes.  We've been in one for the last several months.

Adam

• 3. Re: Splice Cavity Problem
              Simon

Adam,

I've just checked in VeSys Components and it seems the Cavity Names tab doesn't exist for splices at all. The only workaround I found was to change the part to group name Device and then back to Splice. This resets the number of pins to zero, but I'm not sure what other information you may lose (the message says "splice specific" information is lost). However, this may still be easier than obsoleting, deleting and re-entering the splice from scratch.

Regards,

Simon 

• 4. Re: Splice Cavity Problem
                aehrmantraut

Nope no dice, the part is used in many of our parts and Vesys wont let me change because of it.  It would let us change up to two cavites but not to one.  <<Sigh>>

Sounds like something for the next update

• 5. Re: Splice Cavity Problem
                  Simon

I've found another way to do this, but it requires XML editing. I exported just this splice part from Components, edited the XML to remove the unwanted cavity and then re-imported (using 'replace'). As far as I can tell, this works even if the splice part is in use.

In the XML file there are two things you need to edit...

1. On the row that starts "<splicepart" look for the following cavityqt="2" and edit it to say cavityqt="1"

2. You will find there are two rows that start "<librarycavity". You need to delete the second row, so there is only one (I chose to keep the one that said cavityname="1".

If you don't feel comfortable editing XML, this may not be for you. But it seems like a reasonably easy workaround if you only have a single part you need to edit.

Regards,

Simon

• 6. Re: Splice Cavity Problem
                    aehrmantraut

Yep, that fixed it thank you much