1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 16, 2014 2:38 AM by milostnik

Why my "Auto Route" function cannot complete?

marinetroops

Dear All,

Hello!

I am designing a board for my chip using ExpeditionPCB. I have drawn the schematic by DxDesigner, and then I place all the cells in ExpeditionPCB and let it auto-route all the parts.

My problem is, as shown in the attached screeshot picture, my auto-route function cannot complete. It always fails at 92.66% progress with an error report: "Add 1-4 via failed for net $1N503 when changing to layer 4, Visit message locationSMT Pin Top; IC1-33; net $1N503; loc: (1,339.37, 2,328.74); class: (Default)". In the attached screeshot picture, (1,339.37, 2,328.74) is the highlighted 3rd pin from right.

Acturally I have already drawn a "rule area" rectangle, in which the sizes of vias and traces have been reduced in CES, as shown in the attached screeshot picture (the blue narrow traces). I believe that ExpeditionPCB should have more than enough space to add any vias.

So why in my rule area only the blue traces have been narrowed according to my CES, leaving all the rest traces as wide as unconstrained? And why does my auto-route function fail at 92.66% due to adding via problems???

Any help would be deeply appreciated... Thanks a lot in advance!

D

• 1. Re: Why my "Auto Route" function cannot complete?
          milostnik

Hello D,

I can not be specific with your design, because I don't have it, but I can help you with some general hints on how I would solve such a case.

1a) First of all I would try to plow all the traces that are not connected by hand until you are out of the rule area. In this way you could check if the rule area is set correctly.

1b) I would also check with iCES if the roules are correct in the rule area.

2) I would try to fan out the chip only and check if you can do a full fanout. If it is sucessfull you can add this as one of the initial step into the autorouter steps.

3) if everything else fails try to conntact Mentor support.

Hope this helps you.

Matija